Automotive battery charger circuit breaker.

Hi. Does anyone know where to find a replacement circuit breaker for a 6A automotive battery charger?

The charger is from the '70's, a simple basic transformer and 2 diodes . The circuit breaker is the type that automatically resets. The old one was a little glass tube, but I've seen the type that are square with threaded terminals too. Either one would work.

Thanks.

Reply to
Sy

You need a BI metal circuit breaker..

Just go to your local auto parts store and get a plug breaker used for power windows etc in the upper cars..

Reply to
Jamie

Google Klixon. They make a wide variety of manual and auto reset DC breakers. Only problem is the off time specified by the charger manufacturer meaning it needs to stay off for a certain period of time to allow the charger electronics to remain under a certain duty cycle.

Meat Plow

automotive

Uh, auto parts store?

Reply to
PeterD

Klixon was sold off by Texas Insruments long ago to Sensata

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On 8/28/2010 1:45 PM PeterD spake thus:

I doubt you'd find one there. Most likely just get a blank stare and "Huh? What?".

David Nebenzahl

Go to a real auto parts store, not 'Midnight Auto'. Ask for a headlight circuit breaker. A very common part.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks, I tried those plug-in breakers. They all seem to be type II, such that the power has to be removed for the device to reset. I also tried the little PTC devices, similarly they won't reset with the load still there.

Littlefuse 812006 seems to be what I need, now all I have to do is find a source nearby.

Thanks.

Reply to
Sy

PTC

source

Again, automotive circuit breakers do exactly what you want. None require that the load be lifted to reset, they are simple thermal devices that cool and restore the circuit.

Reply to
PeterD