As we get closer to digital

I have noticed more & more still on the air analog channels are skipping , breaking up into squares or stopping compleatly leaving a black strip with the words ``poor signal`` on it over & over during the program . This is all station errors & problems . As for digital tv sets or convertors I cant receive digital on anything portable very good without constantly fighting the antenna . The ones that do come in are pretty nice though .

What junk ! i hope they fix this as time goes on

Reply to
Ken G.

The technology or the programming?

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

Whoever "designed" the compression/modulation/demodulation/decompression for digital TV should be shot.

Ancient analogue system ,perterbation sequence with progressively worse signal/interference

snow on picture - can stay with the plot loss of colour - can stay with the plot breaking up of b&w pic - cannot really stay with the plot loss of sound - lost the plot fully

Bells and whistles modern digital , perterbation sequence

breaking up of sound - lost the plot already loss of moving sections of image - lost the plot previously intermixing of parts of static frames - lost plot previously "no signal"

N_Cook

On Jul 21, 11:02=A0pm, "N_Cook" wrote: > Whoever "designed" the compression/modulation/demodulation/ decompression for > digital TV should be shot. >

I take it COFDM in the UK has its shortcomings like 8VSB in the States. I've been watching over the air digital in southern CA coming up on 5 years now and have no issues with breakup. I'm 35 miles from Mt. Wilson with a modest antenna split 4 ways to a Samsung HD receiver and 3 computers with ATI HDTV Wonder cards, one of which is recording right now. As for the 'plot' many deserve to be lost - at least over here though some of the UK shows on PBS are pretty good. The last 3 times I've seen the 'no signal' message was when KCBS-DT went off the air last fall and KNBC-DT 2 times in the last week. I believe KNBC was a planned outage to do some upgrades and not a failure. I.E no signal was _really_ no signal.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

That by nature is common to all digital systems. So you need to make sure you have a robust signal.

The first digital off air we had in the UK is the NICAM TV sound system - and that kept going after the picture was unwatchable.

FreeView should become more robust when analogue is switched off - they can then up the ERP.

--
*A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you seen the last point , in black & white, stated in UK operational policy somewhere ? any pointers to a document?

N_Cook

*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Your signal source? I've seen nothing like you describe above.

Reply to
UCLAN

I'm 100 miles south of Mt. Wilson with a ChannelMaster 4228 antenna mounted INSIDE, and I have no problem with breakup. The digital transition is great, IMO.

Reply to
UCLAN

My signal source is rabbit ears . I have 3 newer expensive Digital tv sets .

Lately i suppose most stations are digital now but still transmitting on analog till Feb. I still watch tv in analog . The last few days one of our UHF channels is a mess of skipping squares . Last night while watching the news on a different UHF channel the screen kept going blank with a black strip with `poor signal` that was from the station itself because i was watching analog .

I have some of those digital converters . When they work its great but getting all the channels to come in on rabbit ears i have to fight it .

Reply to
Ken G.

You must have been tuned to a *telepathic* station if they knew you were getting a poor signal.

Spend $30-$40 on a decent indoor antenna. This one seems to work quite well (compared to rabbit ears), but there are others as well.

UCLAN

You are not understanding yet .

The weak signal displayed on my tv screen was at the tv station as they were receiving poor signals during a news cast . Maybe they need a super-rabbitear !

Reply to
Ken G.