Are your power cords gold-plated?

"From the first moment, when I played a CD, my wife got surprised when I told her that she was not listening to a vinyl record" -Christos Skaloumbakas President of the Audiophile Club of Athens

"

It must have been the clicks and pops that confused her. Who could have known that you could get $2500 for a power cord that makes your system noisy....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

I can't see a "UL" approved on it. I wonder if that's an extra charge?

1PW
Reply to
1PW

Perhaps some of you might find a bit of humor here:

Stan.

Reply to
Stan

This has to be a joke.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

And some more must-have Hi-Fi products

-- General electronic repairs, most things repaired, other than TVs and PCs

Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Reply to
N_Cook

Every power cord in my house is gold plated. I have a gold plated plug on my soldering iron as it helps it get hotter. My 'scope seems far better at measuring since I fitted it with a gold plated power plug. My broadband modem goes faster now I have plugged its wallwart power supply into a gold plated noise filter extension cord. I have endless examples of the wonderful effects of gold plated power plugs. Could you possibly be suggesting that I and others have been duped by unscrupulous manufacturers that are just out to relieve us of our hardearned ? Shame on you, disbeliever !! :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Every so often a discussion of surge protectors pops on the technical mailing lists I'm on. I am against MOV type units because IMHO they provide little protection, stop protecting without warning and can catch fire. I'm not joking, there are several documented cases of them making a loud noise and the plastic case they are in burning here.

The next step up are the ones made by Trip-Lite and sold under the brand name ISO-BAR. They sell for around $50-$60 from mail order discounters and retailers in the U.S. The patents on them have expired and instead of cheap knock-off's showing up, a company has made a unit with the same technology targeted to the audiophile and large screen TV market.

Their unit is well over $300, sold mail order.

:-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to

Ahbutah.. is it oxygen free gold?

I once upgraded a girlfriends jewellery from plain silver to gold and instantly discovered an improvement in her performance

Ron

Reply to
Ron(UK)

I recall reading, quite some years back, that MOVs have two behavioral characteristics which tend to cause these problems:

- When they're forced into conduction by a voltage spike which exceeds their standoff voltage, the varistor structure is usually changed in a way which reduces its ability to stand off subsequent spikes. In other words, their standoff voltage is permanently reduced.

- After multiple conduction events, a MOV will tend to fail into a "shorted" state - its standoff voltage drops below the line voltage. I haven't found a manufacturer's data sheet which explicitly confirms what I read, but anecdotal reports seem to suggest that it's correct. When MOVs are used, I think they should *always* be placed behind a relatively fast-acting fuse or circuit breaker, so that when they do fail (and short out) the fuse will blow quickly. Putting them directly across the line, with no fuse/breaker protection, tends to lead to the sort of !BANG! and puff of foul smoke you have experienced.

Some power strips just use a small fuse in series with the MOV itself... which means that the power strip will cease to protect (either silently, or with an LED that then goes out) if the MOV shorts and blows the fuse.

At least these use metal cases! They still seem to use MOVs, and Tripp-Lite's FAQ admits that they can lose their spike-protective properties over time.

I seem to recall that some company (and I *thought* it was Tripp-Lite) had a spike/surge suppressor which used across-the-line SCRs or triacs, with a specialized gate-trigger circuit rather than MOVs. Such a device, built with hefty-enough thyristors, wouldn't be subject to the sort of per-spike degradation that MOVs seem to suffer. Expensive, though!

#chuckle#

Dave Platt

Wimp - I have solid silver cable throughout the house and had special cable laid in all the way from the power station. Can't understand why DAB still doesn't sound like a CD.

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

AFAIK they work by using an inductor and capacitor network to slow down the pulse enough to allow more robust, but slower devices to work.

Trans-Tector uses avalance diodes. They are extremely expensive, and market their devices as power and communication line and antenna "protectors" to places that are exposed to lightening but must continue to operate such as airports, etc.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Reply to
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

No question about it.

Failure to do this would fail IEC safety regs.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That sounds scarily like what a believer in gobal warming would say if you suggested the whole thing was a crock of shit !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in news:-

5CdnTDLHLnTxKPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Someone is laughing all the way to the bank. Look at their turntables!

$150,000 for a turntable!

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in news:-

5CdnTDLHLnTxKPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Someone is laughing all the way to the bank. Look at their turntables!

$150,000 for a turntable! ...a 'budget turntable' for $1200 bux.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

infinite set.

bz+ser@ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu   remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
Reply to
bz

I suggest exactly that on a daily basis, and you know what ? I reckon a few former believers are just beginning to listen, and perhaps changing their views just a leedle on eco-bollocks ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

They go to $99

Remember these things ??

GregS

Like a Cd? Where are your standards? You're supposed to be improving it to the point where it sounds like an LP.

Snap, crackle, pop...

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Cold Irony:

[wattsupwiththat.wordpress.com/...]

[theglobeandmail.com/...]

Reply to
Allodoxaphobia

I expect snopes.com will label it UL soon enough.

No, that's CE.

Reply to
David Harmon