Apple throttled your iPhone by cutting its speed almost in HALF!

You have to realize that you're dealing with nospam, who delights in presenting what is an illogical argument, as his only defense of the facts.

He's expert at this (like a defense lawyer is expert at it).

You have to remember that the Apple Apologists always try to deflect blame whenever facts they don't like show up here (nospam, Jolly Roger, BKonRamp, Lewis, Savageduck, Snit, etc.).

Very few of these Apple Apologists appear to have a formal education so they're not aware that others don't buy their illogical crap - to wit - nospam says Android phones do the same thing - but it's not at all the same thing.

Only Apple *secretly*, *permanently*, and *drastically* cut CPU speeds (to about half the original speeds based on the reports I posted prior) as a "solution" to extend the life of their products.

The major Android manufacturers are on record emphatically stating they would never do what Apple did to their customers.

That's a fact the Apple Apologists will try to dance around. But it's still a fact.

Reply to
Harry Newton

Bearing in mind that it's a fact Apple doesn't test its products in the real world (they say the real world is "not supported"), it's a fact that Apple was blindsided by the iPhone shutdowns (they admitted this).

That means they didn't test them since it's a *lot* of phones that shut down.

Now when they finally figured out the reason (on the second pass, by their own admission), they had a choice to make as to how to "respond".

  1. They could *secretly*, *drastically*, and *permanently* throttle CPU perofrmance (to about half the original speeds) hoping to not get caught... or ...
  2. They could openly come clean, and recall the defective phones, and provide a trade in of a suitable phone that wasn't defective.

It was their choice. It was worth the risk if they didn't get caught (just like VW did). But they got caught.

These are facts.

Reply to
Harry Newton

That's not true. Did you read the Harvard Study which, admittedly, was a second or even third-order effect - but still - plenty of people noticed the slowdown - and plenty noticed the phones just shutting off also.

Likewise, the entire point is that the benchmark results were CLEAR and OBVIOUS that the CPUs were throttled.

What it took people time was to *realize* that they weren't the only ones secretly, permanently, and drastically throttled.

So the very fact it was noticed is proof it was noticed.

Then Apple apologized for nothing.

Silly Apple. They have so many lawyers and marketing people (the best in the world) ... it's funny they made a mistake for apologizing for nothing.

And all those silly lawsuits alleging harm. Silly people.

When Apple *secretly*, *permanently*, and *drastically* cuts CPU performance after only a year of use, why should Apple apologize for that.

The good news is now, moving forward, we all know to basically halve any benchmark you see for any Apple iPhone because Apple says that they will continue to halve the performance of their phones after about a year.

Hence, an iPhone X is really, after a year, an iPhone V (1/2 X) in terms of CPU performance.

Reply to
Harry Newton

All we can tell you is that Apple stated they will *continue* to throttle phones (literally, to half speed, permanently, although no longer secretly since the cat is out of the bag).

We can give you the references where journalists have been led to believe the iPhone X will be throttled to something like an iPhone V (1/2 X) in just about a year also (see prior referenced quote).

So, basically, from this point forward, you logically can take any benchmark or phone comparison spec, and halve the benchmark results for the iPhones, so as to arrive at a realistic "one year later" comparison.

There is no other logical way to compare phone benchmarks at this time if Apple is true to their word of drastically throttling CPUs after about a year of use in the future also.

Logical rule of thumb moving forward: Halve every iPhone benchmark result.

Reply to
Harry Newton

Throttling happens on all smartphones for various reasons, but the point is Android does indeed throttle in certain situations as well. And those situations aren't clearly documented for Android from what I can see.

All batteries degrade over time, and there has been zero evidence that there is a widespread issue with Apple device battery defects across all models of their devices. Also, Apple devices aren't "crashing", "unexpectedly rebooting", or "locking up" due to dying batteries - those are not symptoms of the problem. The symptom of the problem is the device spontaneously shuts down in the middle of whatever you are doing because performance was allowed to spike to a point where the current draw was more than the battery in its deteriorated condition could handle. If that happens to be during a critical moment during a 911 call, you're f***ed. Nobody wants their smartphone to spontaneously shut down. So Apple added a feature in iOS 10 that monitored battery health, detected when batteries could no longer provide needed current, and reduced *peak* *spikes* in performance from happening, which has the natural effect of preventing unwanted shutdowns and extends runtime. And since only peak spikes are prevented, most apps continue to run at full speed. Extended runtime on a dying battery is something all of us want out of our devices (well, those of us without a trollish agenda, that is).

JR
Reply to
Jolly Roger

a) Jimmy Neutron is not interested in facts, discussion, or conversation. b) This thread will not die until Jimmy Neutron and its acolytes are ignored. c) You are preaching to the converted on the one hand. d) You are dealing with invincible ignorance on the other hand. e) You will make no converts and change no minds on the gripping hand.

Please let this thread die. Please do not support the troll. And, please, let's endeavor to kill the troll the next time it inevitably shows itself.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

That "study", which basically amounted to a Harvard student doing an informal Google Trends search for "iPhone slow" and correlating it with iOS release dates, has been long debunked:

Sendhi Mullainathan (the author of the "study") said himself:

"Data on search frequency would not allow us to infer intent. No matter how suggestive, this data alone doesn't allow you to determine conclusively whether my phone is actually slower and, if so, why."

Another troll fail, brought to you by "Harry".

FALSE. It was mentioned in the iOS 10.2.1 release notes as anyone with a web browser and half a brain cell can plainly see:

"iOS 10.2.1 includes bug fixes and improves the security of your iPhone or iPad. It also improves power management during peak workloads to avoid unexpected shutdowns on iPhone."

There's nothing "secret" about this.

FALSE. The feature activates only on devices whose batteries can no longer supply nominal current and only during *peak* resource consumption, which means most apps are unaffected since most do not cause peak spikes in performance. And replacing the dying battery with a new one returns those *peak* spikes back to 100% performance. Nothing "permanent" about it.

FALSE. The feature only activates when apps cause *peak* spikes in performance, which doesn't apply to the vast majority of apps, and only takes effect on devices whose batteries are at the end of their lifespan and cannot provide the needed current without prematurely shutting off the device, which extends the runtime of devices with dying batteries - that's something most people want. Hardly "drastic".

You should apologize for all of your blatant, trollish lies.

Another lie. Troll, troll, troll your boat...

JR
Reply to
Jolly Roger

Despite the Apple Apologists incessant fabricated claisms always attempting to imply that everyone *secretly*, *permanently*, and *drastically* throttles CPUs (to less than half the original speeds!) after only a year or so of use, the facts say otherwise.

Android Phones Do Not Slow Down Due to Old Batteries: Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC

Apple Alone: Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC All Deny Crippling Phones to Preserve Battery Life

We don+IBk-t throttle performance on our Android phones like Apple, say HTC and Motorola

HTC & Motorola don't follow Apple's idea of slowing down CPU performance

HTC and Motorola say they don't slow down phones with old batteries like Apple does

Not us! Android makers say they never slow phones over battery problems

Samsung and LG also confirm they do not slow down phones with older batteries

Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC Confirm They Do Not Slow Down Older Devices

No, Samsung and LG don+IBk-t throttle their devices like Apple

Samsung And LG Take A Dig At Apple, Claim That They Don+IBk-t Slow Down Their Phones With Older Batteries

We don+IBk-t throttle performance on our Android phones like Apple, say HTC and Motorola

HTC and Motorola say they don+IBk-t slow old phones like Apple does

HTC & Motorola say they don't throttle older phones like Apple does as they age

Samsung, LG, HTC & Motorola don+IBk-t slow old phones like Apple does

Joining other Android makers, Samsung & LG claim to not throttle CPUs as batteries age

HTC and Motorola don+IBk-t throttle performance like Apple does

Motorola and HTC Confirm They Don+IBk-t Throttle Older Devices

What's amazing is that the Apple Apologists deny what nobody else denies, which is that Apple stands alone in what they did to *secretly*, *permanently*, and *drastically* throttle iPhone performance after about a year of use.

And Apple is on record saying they'll do the same to the iPhone 8 & iPhone X (which makes the iPhone 8 about 1/2 an iPhone 8, or an iPhone IV, and the iPhone X about an iPhone V, so you may as well halve any benchmark you ever see on an iPhone moving forward because it will be half the reported performance after only about a year of use if they follow what their predecessors did.

These are all straight facts.

Reply to
Harry Newton

Android devices (at least some of them) do offer a "battery saver" option. On one phone I have, it can be set to activate when the battery reaches 15% charge remaining, or you can keep it on all the time. It's a very noticeable performance hit. But Android devices don't throttle based on the age of the battery.

I like the idea of a device monitoring its battery health and when the battery loses a certain level of capacity to advise the user that battery replacement is a good idea, plus give the option of a trade-off of performance versus time between charging. Transparency is always valued.

Tesla's plan is to repurpose car batteries, that are no longer holding enough charge for use in a car, into storage systems where energy density is less important. But in California, the last thing you want to do is to use your solar panels to charge storage batteries--you want to sell as much peak value KWH back to the utility as possible, and if you have a battery-back-up system you want to charge it with low-cost off-peak KWH.

Reply to
sms

Did you happen to notice an Apple Apology?

Do you think they apologized for nothing?

Did you happen to notice all the lawsuits?

Do you think they allege Apple did nothing wrong?

Did you happen to notice that *all* the Android manufacturers said they'd never do to their customers what Apple did to you?

Or are you blind to facts?

Reply to
Harry Newton

I completely agree with your statement, and I extend it to say that all manufacturers take battery charge *level* into account - but that's completely different from what Apple did.

The fact-hating Apple Apologists try to claim that all manufacturers do the same thing, which is like saying all salesmen lie. I'm sure a lot of salesmen lie, but some are truthful.

In this case, *all* the major Android manufacturers have been asked a very pointed question - and they all openly publicly and flatly deny that they did to their customers what Apple did to its customers.

So the real question - the *technical* question - is HOW does what Apple did differ from what Android manufacturers do?

To me, that's a very important technical question to answer correctly.

You can rest assured that I *love* debugging tools! As you probably are aware, I use a plethora of Wi-Fi and Cellular signal strength apps, and I agree with you that monitoring battery "health" would be nice.

What Apple calls "chemical aging" is what needs to be monitored I think, do you agree?

NOTE: I took inorganic and organic chemistry and physics, so redox reactions are part and parcel - but I haven't delved into what's specifically different about what Apple did versus what the Android manufacturers do.

Certainly the Android manufacturers didn't throttle the CPU like Apple did (since they're all on record flatly stating as much).

Do you have a good handle on the precise differences?

I agree, since I pay something like $0.45 a kilowatthour peak (last week of the month) price for electricity where the average in the USA is about a quarter of that.

But why not just add *more* solar panels to charge storage batteries too?

Most solar panels don't fully run the home (they could, but it depends on who is paying for the panels in the first place because they, effectively, make that decision and most of the "rental" agencies just get you into the lower tiers).

Solar aside, I think the most important fact to differentiate is what Apple did versus what the Android manufacturers do, when we all know that the Android manufacturers are all on record stating they'd never do to their customers what Apple did to theirs.

Reply to
Harry Newton

some do. they just don't want to admit it.

others just shut down or refuse to charge:

We reported late last year that certain Huawei Nexus 6Ps were

action lawsuit against Google on behalf of customers who have faced this issue.

Well since then the battery isn't so good, and whenever I use heavy apps (primarily when i try to multitask between them) the phone will black out and will turn back on with a chunk of battery missing or it used to be dead. ... So, the phone shut off and i have a pic of the chart that does show a sudden drop. This is pretty much a fact of a dendrite is growing and not software? I wonder how much it would cost to fix this.

Some Galaxy Note 8 users reporting that their phones will not accept charge.

Reply to
nospam

To kill the Undead, they must have their brains destroyed. Otherwise, they infect others. Jimmy Neutron is well down that road.

Reply to
pfjw

What's amazing is that you think repeating this broken-record phrase helps your case *at* *all*. All it does is show your true bias as an irrational Apple-hating troll.

If Apple stands alone in detecting batteries that can't supply require voltage and reacting in the operating system by preventing spikes in performance that would otherwise cause a premature and unexpected shutdown, potentially at a critical time for the user, such as during a

911 call, then the rest of the industry needs to catch up.

Already debunked. Apple announced the feature on their website and in the iOS release notes.

Already debunked. The throttling is dynamic and only trims the peak spikes in power draw, and replacing the battery restores peak performance to normal.

Already debunked as well. The throttling is dynamic, not fixed, and is dependant on app resource utilization, which for most apps is below peak thresholds.

Debunked as well. There is no evidence that Apple's batteries don't last longer than 3-4 years, and a lot of evidence showing they do generally last that long. All batteries degrade over time. That's a fact of life.

Owners of those devices will enjoy extended runtime when the battery starts to die, while owners of Android devices will watch their devices spontaneously shut down when the batteries start to die. I know whose devices I'm buying.

Nope because the throttling is dynamic and not fixed and doesn't affect all apps, nor batteries that are healthy.

Complete nonsense.

They are all lies, and repeating them doesn't make you look any less foolish to rational thinking adults.

JR
Reply to
Jolly Roger

User experience be damned. Good job, DROIDs... No thanks, I'll take Apple's solution with extended runtime.

JR
Reply to
Jolly Roger

Notice I provide references, and you never do.

I think you're just not used to something they teach kids in high school called "the scientific method".

Since you're clearly not well educated, take a lesson from me, which is that you can't call verified facts lies just because those facts shake the very foundation of your belief system.

Reply to
Harry Newton

Everything Apple does, from the lack of testing of their products in the real world (e.g., witness iOS 7.0.1 breaking Linux connectivity where Apple merely said on their support site that the real world was "not supported")...

To the lack of testing of their products (witness the iPhone 6 shutdowns which even Apple admits blindsided them) because they never tested the phone in a refrigerated environment...

To the lack of testing of their products (witness the Mac debacle where root didn't have a password) ...

To the lack of testing of their products (witness they delivered ioS 10.x with the broadcom fix in their very hands and yet they *still* touted their release as a "security update", all the while knowing full well that they would be *destroying* that release in only 10 days - after millions of people uploaded it where Apple had to practically beg everyone to delete it ASAP even though they had the very fix in hand when they released it!)....

Everything Apple does, from the lack of testing of their products, to the fact they *secretly*, *permanently*, and *drastically* throttled CPUs (to less than half the claimed CPU speeds) after about a year of use ... shakes the very foundation of your belief system.

Reply to
Harry Newton

References to fluff opinion pieces aren't "facts", dimwit troll.

JR
Reply to
Jolly Roger

Projection.

JR
Reply to
Jolly Roger

I've studied you half-dozen Apple Apologists, and another half dozen gullibles, where you're not at all like normal prescient adults.

I think you hate facts because these facts shake the utter foundation of your belief system.

So, to maintain your belief system, you deny the facts, even to yourself.

Reply to
Harry Newton