APEX PF2720 MAKES WEIRD NOISE

Can anyone help or offer some direction?

My Apex TV was working fine until today.

When I turn it on there is a strange whining sound and no picture. Anyone had an experience with this?

Thanks,

Gary

Reply to
jglconsulting310

That's what they all say when something blows up. The next step is to blame someone or something.

Yes. My guess(tm) is a switching power supply with leaking and bulging electrolytic capacitors. The capacitor sometimes makes some hissing or screaming noises when it boils off electrolyte. The noise may also be coming from the speakers as a blown capacitor might cause the power supply to oscillate. The noise is usually followed by dead silence after the fuse blows.

The Apex PF 2720 is 27" CRT (picture tube) TV first sold in 2003. That makes it around 14 years old: It's highly likely that something that old has parts that have not aged very gracefully. Open it up and look around. You'll probably see something like these: Usually, some kind of maker and model specific capacitor recap or rebuild kit is available on eBay. However, I couldn't find anything for this model TV. The labor charge for fixing such an old TV might be high enough that a replacement LCD TV might be more economical.

eWaste methinks...

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

** So there is normal sound from the speakers ?

If so, the set many just need a good clean around the picture tube and any wiring going to and from same.

I have used rags moistened with denatured alcohol to get all the black soot and dust off, plus a vacuum cleaner if it is really bad.

It's probably an outside chance, but what have you got to lose ?

FYI:

UNPLUG THE SET AND LEAVE IT FOR 10 MINUTES BEFORE DOING ANY CLEANING.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Another guess is a shorted horizontal output transistor and the whine is a switched power supply trying to drive a dead short. In any case not worth fixing.

Chuck

ne had an experience with this?

y wiring going to and from same.

Cleaning in and around the second anode assy won't help a no picture condit ion and whine, which is what OP complained about.

Good advice, assuming his TV's HV transformer has an internal bleeder. If it doesn't contain an internal bleeder, the CRT may store 20KV for several days at the very least and will deliver nice jolt to whoever tries to wipe down around the second anode cup, even days later. Some TVs mute the video first before the HV is shut down, and the charge on the CRT remains very h igh with no bleeder.

It would have been nice if OP had told us if it's a CRT, plasma, or LCD. T he only thing they all have in common is that produce a picture.

Reply to
John-Del

Is the sun shining where you are? Knowing the weather is as about as helpful as the information that you posted.

Start with model number. Absent that, whats the technology? CRT, Plasma, or LCD/LED?

Whining complaints along with a change of performance are *usually* a switch mode supply under a higher than designed for load.

Reply to
John-Del

Oops, see the model in the title..

If you have a DMM, check the LOP/Horizontal output transistor for a Collector to Emitter short. That's the easiest check to make.

Other than that, any kind of shorted device on the secondary of the smps will cause a whine from the supply.

Reply to
John-Del

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond. Jeff, The images from the link you supplied were awesome. I think it's time for me to help the economy and buy a new TV.

Reply to
jglconsulting310