APC UPS -- replace battery, or...?

A few years back I read that one should not do this with consumer-grade UPSes because they have no cooling and are designed so that during the short time the standard battery lasts they will not reach an unsafe temperature.

Anyway, I replaced the battery by a used one from another UPS, and all seems to be fine.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

All I've seen so far had "snapper disk" thermal cutouts. Don't know the correct name, but usually a small bakelite cylinder with a swaged on aluminium cap and 2x 1/4" spade terminals and are usually mounted by a loose flange with 2 screw holes. The active bit is a bi-metal disk that is bowed, it snaps to bowed the other way when it gets hot.

You'll always find one on the magnetron/fan duct housing in a microwave oven, they can turn up in pretty much anything that could overheat.

Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot