AntiBark?

Cheap device which is supposed to emit ultrasonic sound when the dog barks to quieten noisy dog. It doesn't affect the dog at all but how do I know if it's working or not, there's no indication on it? I bought it in local shop but this is same one, wish I'd seen the bad reviews first.

Kenny Cargill

Reply to
Kenny

Cheap device which is supposed to emit ultrasonic sound when the dog barks to quieten noisy dog. It doesn't affect the dog at all but how do I know if it's working or not, there's no indication on it? I bought it in local shop but this is same one, wish I'd seen the bad reviews first.

Kenny Cargill

Unlikely to work at all unless you hang it on the dog.

The dog will soon tell you if it works or not.

Gareth,

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Cheap device which is supposed to emit ultrasonic sound when the dog barks to quieten noisy dog. It doesn't affect the dog at all but how do I know if it's working or not, there's no indication on it? I bought it in local shop but this is same one, wish I'd seen the bad reviews first.

Kenny Cargill

Unlikely to work at all unless you hang it on the dog.

The dog will soon tell you if it works or not.

Gareth,

Also, the one I have tried emits audible artifacts when triggered, you can hear it working.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

You could use a microphone connected to an oscilloscope and probably see the tone.

Years ago I bought a ultrasonic switch kit from Radio Shack. When I pointed the hand held unit at my dog about 10 feet away and pressed the button I could see his ears fly up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If the dog goes "Bark bark" and suddenly drops to the ground and puts his paws over his ears, you KNOW it is working.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

~ digital pet!

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

Find someone surveying for bats using an ultrasonic bat detector and make them jump with your emitter?

Mike.

Reply to
MJC

Would there be enough power to disturb some water, in a paper cup, with the sound source directly under the cup, touching the base?

Reply to
N_Cook

Meter voltage on the transducer. Use an ultrasonic transducer for a mic & multiply it with variable 20-100kHz signal. Try it on random dogs. etc

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Would there be enough power to disturb some water, in a paper cup, with the sound source directly under the cup, touching the base?

Nigel, you're scaring me. Where are you going with this?

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I used to work with ultrasound equipment that would disturb the water.

BTW, the picture shows a 6" plume of water emitted from an aquarium filled to about 6".

Mikek

amdx

Retail outlet or thrift store where people dump their non-working stuff?

These don't work unless they recognize the dog barking. Maybe your dog learned how to spoof it? How old is your dog? Maybe he don't hear so good.

I have one that is a collar. It's a bark-sensing taser. I don't have a dog, but I hear they're quite effective. Really easy to see if it works, but do it outside so you don't soil the carpet.

but this is same one, wish I'd seen the bad

Isn't that the way ultrasonic humidifiers work? For such a low power device, the hard part will be coupling the water to the emitter. And if they use the same element for bark sensing and output, that would probably desensitize the sensing part.

I have a device that's basically an audio mixer. It mixes the ultrasonic down to audible frequencies. Used to detect leaky pipes and other things that might hiss at high frequencies. Know anybody in the plumbing or HVAC business?

Reply to
mike

Or open the device and connect the scope to the speaker. I assume there has to be some sort of speaker in it.

I do wonder what this "ultrasonic" frequency really is? Humans are supposed to hear up to 20K. (Most of us dont hear that high). So, if this device is say 25K, we cant hear it. But do dogs hear that high? Does anyone really know the hearing range for a dog? If someone claims they do know, how can they prove it? It's just like people say horses do not see color. I disagree based on trying different things, like changing feed pail colors, but I cant really prove it.

There is another solution. I used this one when I had a dog that barked all the time and refused to stop no matter what I did to train or scold him. One day I just called the Humane Society and told them I had a dog for them. They took him, and I no longer heard any barking. Now I have some cats, a goat, a donkey and some miniature horses. ALL are better pets. I never want another dog.

Man's best friend is any of the other animals I mentioned. Man's biggest nuisance is a dog.

If you (the OP) does connect a scope to this thing, I'd be interested in knowing what the frequency is.

By the way, I once lived in a house that always got mice in the house. I bought an ultrasonic thing that was supposed to chase the mice away. WORTHLESS GARBAGE! What did work, was mouse traps and cats. (And eventually moving to another house that did not have mice entry holes).

----------

Reply to
oldschool

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 3:26:40 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com wrote: But do dogs hear that high?

That's easy. Train a dog to come to a whistle. Keep upping the frequency until the dog no longer responds. That's your limit, at least for your dog and most likely it's breed.

Reply to
ohger1s

y until the dog no longer responds. That's your limit, at least for your d og and most likely it's breed.

Careful - stating the obvious to Old School is an exercise in futility.

I am emphatically not a dog person - but we have kept dogs for the last 30 years, always two, always including at least one Golden Retriever. Now a Sc ottie and a Golden.

There are *no* bad dogs - only bad humans. This includes pit-bulls, which a re dangerous as much due to their breeding (by bad humans for dog-fighting) as by their natures - highly protective and aggressive, no surprise there.

As to cats, they hear at least as well as dogs, but are focused on a slight ly different part of the spectrum.

Hearing: There are sounds, and there are over/undertones. One may not hear something specifically, but one may be annoyed by artifacts created by a gi ven sound. And a pure sine-wave of a specific frequency will sound quite di fferent than a note struck on a piano or played on a violin due to those ar tifacts.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

More proof you're a worthless individual.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

Meter voltage on the transducer. Use an ultrasonic transducer for a mic & multiply it with variable 20-100kHz signal. Try it on random dogs. etc

NT Thanks for the replies, should point out that this is not the type you point at dog and press a button, it's on a bracket attached to kennel and dog barking should trigger it. It was bought at B&M but I didn't keep receipt. Did consider a mic attached to laptop but thought ultrasonic would be outside the mic's range. Used to have a scope when I fixed TV's but gave it away. It's for my own dog because neighbours are complaining, I used this:

for a while and it seemed to work but now the fluid/gas seems to leak away.

Reply to
Kenny

I have a Cornell Raven program.

Raven will display above 22000 cps visuals. There may be a trial offer.

Gareth is correct for equipment not designed for suppressing the mechanism noise producing the above 22000 motion.

There is an inbetween where a substitute noise broadcasts the mechanism's activation .... as a jet plan roar or a 57 Chevy with glass packs ...something not immediately noticed as unusual.

devices are sold to deter rats. The rats then move to the Bahamas

Reply to
avagadro7

y.

Get a refill?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

p.s.:

Dogs bark in many cases to say "HERE I AM!". Which means they are lonely. A dog that is not lonely will not bark except for a reason. And, as it happe ns, one typically wants the dog to park *when* there is a reason.

No-Bark collars stop all barking, good or bad.

If you have an older dog that is going deaf, and is left outside for any le ngth of time, it *will* bark. It is called self-stimulus. Again, lonely dog s bark.

Generally, dogs are a commitment that takes time and consideration, especia lly as they get older. Our retrievers have lasted 14, 13 and the incumbent is 7 years old. We have a Scottie who is 8, but smaller dogs tend to last l onger. And we have two cats, 7 & 4 who might well last 20+ years. In any ca se, the animals all take considerable comfort from each other.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

LOL! I don't know if that proves his worthlessness or not but I always tol d my two sons to 1) find someone like your mother and 2) make sure she's a dog lover. I know it's generalizing, but my careful observations of many y ears have convinced me that women who love dogs tend to be more honest and moral. Cats are OK but if a woman has more than two, avoid her like the cla p or she will make your life *miserable*.

Reply to
ohger1s