Analog - Digital TV question

I have an old Realistic (Radio Shack) "Stereo TV Receiver". It's like a radio, designed to receive the audio from tv stations. I've used it as an audio amplifier for one of my computers. But I just wanted to see if it actually received TV audio. I dont have much for an antenna, just a rabbit ears. So I am not getting anything, and where I live getting any tv signal is rare.

However, I'm wondering if it's possible to get anything. This was made for analog tv. It has 3 buttons to select VHF low, VHF high, and UHF. I know all the digital stations now use UHF.

With the proper antenna, is it possible to get the digital signal on UHF, or can that only be gotten using a DTV converter? This has me puzzled....

  • I noticed that at the very end of the VHF low, near Channel 6, I do get a very weak signal of some sort. I suspect I'm picking up a little FM radio, but it's too weak to really hear clearly.
Reply to
tubeguy

You been under a rock for the past 10 years? They stopped analog TV broadcasting in 2009.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Are you under a rock? The 4th of December 2019 is in the future.

Reply to
Lucifer

Fox used just a tiny bit of poet license, you are just being evil and anally retentive.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Your radio will NOT work with any of the digital stations, which is 99.999 or so percent of them.

However, there are a number of exceptions, namely some low power stations that operated on "channel 6" before the cutover, and remained in operation.

They're actually exploiting a loophole and are really using that channel, NOT for the tv image, but because the audio portion of channel 6 is at 87.7 Mhz.

That frequency is right at the edge of the FM broadcast band. The older, "dial" type, radios generally have enough slippage, so to speak, to be able to pick them up. However, many of the digital display/control ones have a "hard cut" and won't go that low.

Typical example:

		     dannyb@panix.com
danny burstein

Heh, where's the "like" button?

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Yes, Im aware of that, but dont answer my question. Can the audio portion be received by my receiver or not?

Reply to
tubeguy

Doesn't, but the answer is no.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

There is no 'Audio Portion', there is a data stream containing both the vid eo and one or more audio channels, and there may be one or more sub channel s per the old bandwidth. Those 'stereo receivers' had a coil to pick up the horizontal sweep, which was used to separate the analog audio signal into two channels like Stereo FM, but the pilot frequency was 15.734KH instead o f 19KHz. You not only don't have the analog audio, you can't recover the no n existent NTSC horizontal signal. Other than a very few Low Power stations or translators, the thing is useless.

Ignore Jeff. He's an angry Liberal who has never worked at a TV station as an Engineer.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I'd rather be an angry liberal than an ignorant Trump supporter.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

We all know that you supported Hillary and her slimy bucket of despicables.

It's sad, really. Those Anti Psychotic drugs were really helping you, before Obamacare took them away from you. I do hope that you do see the light some day. All of that raw, inflamed hatred is bad for your health.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I see you love the "fear and hatred" brand of Koolaid the GOP has been selling for the past 40 years.

You're a real prize, the best you can do is make up shit and resort to ad hominem attacks?

You basically went in the toilet when a black man was elected president. You've only gotten worse.

Keep it up with your diatribes, it only makes you look stupid.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

les.

Yawn. That's right out of the Liberal's rulebook 'Repeat a lie until it bec omes the truth'.

efore Obamacare took them away from you. I do hope that you do see the ligh t some day. All of that raw, inflamed hatred is bad for your health.

I was only following your silly lead.

Is that the best lie that you can come up with? He is only partly black, an d he was never much of a man. Just the kind that you worship.

Continuing to post under the name of a business that you ran into the groun d years ago makes you look like a super genius?

I really don't care what you think. Even though I wasn't on any of the news groups, I sent emails to people with information during that time. That inc luded you, although I knew that you would never acknowledge any of them. On e was where to find help with a HP scope. I won't waste any more time with you. Just keep channeling Skippy.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

On 4/14/19 12:06 AM, Michael Terrell wrote: [ snip ] More right wing echo chamber comments.

blah blah blah

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

A lot you all know.

In the L.A. area channel 6 is an over the air Analog Channel ! It is the only one but it is there.

We also have a plethora of digital channels with very little useful content unless you like to watch commercials.

Reply to
OGG

I moved to Texas in September of 2009. So I'm no longer focused on what happens in LA.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Call letters? The only Ch6 that I see listed for that area is KSFV-CD, a LP TV station with a 360 watt signal that is transmitted on UHF Channel 22. I ran more power than that to cover the Ft. Greely Army base in the '70s. I h ad Ch8, and 650 Watts on a 130' tower on the WW-II part of the base.

Michael Terrell

OP

NO your analog receiver cannot receive the audio portion of a digital TV transmission.

makolber

It still works well as an audio amp for computer sound, using the AUX input. Sounds a lot better than those so called (crap) "amplified computer speakers".

Reply to
tubeguy

Michael, it's nice to see you back around these parts, but this is no way to act, Jeff was helpful, why such an attack. It is generally the libs that do all the attacking. Why do you need to act the same. They are wrong we just need to gently teach them to do better. When they know better they will do better. Jeff, have seen anything that Trump has done as president that you like. I'll give you some help, The economy, Rocket Man, cutting taxes on average $1,400 per household, rolling back regulations, and a few from a liberal website.

?Move the U.S. Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem.

?Pull the United States out of the Iranian nuclear deal.

?Stand up to NATO countries for not ponying up enough money to cover the organization?s expenses and their own defense costs.

?Take on the news media and not back down, exposing bias and agenda-driven journalism intended to run him out of office.

?Put an intense focus on immigration, the importance of border security and the cost of illegal immigration, including U.S. citizens killed by the undocumented.

?Target the ruthless Salvadoran street gang MS-13.

?Begin a dialogue with North Korea about ending its nuclear weapons program.

OK, I got carried away, but do you agree with any of these accomplishments.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx