Alternator on DD-3-53 does not charge at idle

dle

ht

eway.

ing

eeps that in his shirt pocket.

le.

would have to know what type of alternator it is. many with an internal reg ulator need a positive voltage thru a resistor to charge at an idle. on man y units, the resistor was the bulb in the idiot lite on the dash. units wit h gages had a resistor wired in. i dont recall the specs on the resistor. w ithout that connection, there would be no charge at idle. the regulator wou ld kick in at around 2000 rpm and charge. it would then charge fine at an i dle , until the regulator cut out. with that load thru a bulb or resistor, the regulator doesnt need 2000 rpm to cut in.

Reply to
mhooker32

Some alternators have a sing stud to connect to the battery. The regulator has no external connections in that type. I have repaired failed alternators on my vehicles since the early '70s.

--
Never piss off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.

They go for over unity! ;-)
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

e:

iddle

be

ught

iveway.

going

keeps that in his shirt pocket.

rule.

egulator need a positive voltage thru a resistor to charge at an idle. on m any units, the resistor was the bulb in the idiot lite on the dash. units w ith gages had a resistor wired in. i dont recall the specs on the resistor. without that connection, there would be no charge at idle. the regulator w ould kick in at around 2000 rpm and charge. it would then charge fine at an idle , until the regulator cut out. with that load thru a bulb or resistor , the regulator doesnt need 2000 rpm to cut in.

Ford 2008 E250 does this when asked to power an inverter connected to the b attery not Ford's computer system. The inverter has a whistler warning. If whistling on startup, the inverter is buttoned off then RPM raised to abt 1

200 for 10 seconds then inverter on run back to cab n drive off before the damn thing changes its attitude. I assume this is the 'battery saver'

If the battery saver sees the load on the inverter is too high then on the second fail to restart with running ie not whistling inverter we give up n drive for 20minutes n stop to do over. The ectra charge usually runs invert er at a lesser load.

The saver is simple minded about its task. If 2 CTEK chargers are connected to inverter then a non whistling inverter is unlikely. One CTEK is probabl e but not 2. A CTEK is not asking for much voltage but... 2 buzzing at once is prob too much for the saver.

Reply to
avagadro7