AIWA CD player early failure

I own an AIWA CD player (TZ92), 13 years old. In this time I have used it about 50 hours (it was in my summer house), and I've changed the laser two times, the first 6 years ago and the second this week. I don't want to throw it, as it is part of a chain.

My questions are:

- The life of the laser is related to working hours or installed hours?

- This short life, is normal?

- Is there any method for lengthening the life?

--
Regards
Miguel Giménez

is it just dirty?

I fix most CD players simply by carefully cleaning the lense on the laser with a Q tip and alcohol....

checkout the Sam Goldwasser sites....

Mark

Reply to
Mark

The first time I did clean it, but without success. This second time I opened it, the lens looked clean, but didn't clean it. I sent it to Aiwa and they told me that it wasn't dirty, but faulty (may be they lied me).

Thank you for pointing me to Goldwasser's.

--
Regards
Miguel Giménez

Also, some AIWAs develop bad ribbon cables. Gently move and flex the cable to the laser a few times then try it again. If it works, replace the cable.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

These lasers are a type of diode. It doesn't wear when it isn't in use, and it doesn't simply go bad sitting on the shelf as can happen with electrolytic capacitors.

Lifespans vary with makes/models. It's potluck, as some higher-priced models are found to have shorter laser lifespans (on average) than some cheaper models.

There is no technique for increasing a laser's lifespan. If you were to reduce the diode's working current, it wouldn't track the disc properly.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Often it`s the 45 degree mirror that`s dusty or tarnished, dificult, often impossible to clean effectively.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public address system