Air Compressor Problem - Motor Stalls

I'm having a problem with my 20 gallon, single stage electric air compressor. It's acting like the motor is underpowered - it pumps up to about 95 psi ok, but then the motor stalls. The unloader bleeds the pressure off, the motor restarts, runs for a couple of seconds, and then stops again...repeat...repeat...

It worked fine for years (The pressure switch would shut it down at about 120 psi) but over the past few months, it's gotten worse and worse, and now will only make about 90-95 psi before the motor stalls.

I cleaned and lubricated the compressor itself, and it spins freely and doesn't appear to be binding or otherwise have excessive friction. The check valve/unloader is working and the piping is all open and clear.

It seems like the electric motor (1/3 hp) just no longer has the oomph it used to. It starts up fine, no humming, no smoking, no bad smells, no clunks. It just doesn't seem to have enough running torque to handle the load like it did before.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Reply to
Sparks Fergusson
[]

If it's a DC motor, maybe it needs new brushes?

Reply to
TonyS

I agree to check the brushes, if it's not a brushless motor. Does the unloader bleed the entire tank off? If so, then the check valve is probably bad. It could also be that your shutoff set point has self adjusted back. Say your fill point is at 95 lbs, and your shutoff self adjusts down to around 95 lbs, it can cause it to continuously turn on and off. I had a compressor that used to do this to me for a while, until I put a little locktight on the adjustment screw. It could be just a worn out pressure switch as well. Maybe the spring has become weak in it.

Reply to
Sansui Samari

Bad pressure switch. The unloader is part of the pressure switch so if it is being activated, the pressure switch is 'saying' that the pressure is sufficient. Maybe it is just mis-adjusted.

Check the adjusting screws, and reset the cutoff back to 120 PSI. Confirm the cuton is at 95 PSI.

Reply to
PeterD

Check the line voltage while opperating at the motor. I can do that stall with a long extension cord.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Is it oiless ?If so, check the bearing.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Compressor binding up.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Do you know for sure that your gauge is correct? Maybe the compressor and pressure switch are fine.

Reply to
Bennett Price

It's an AC induction motor, so no brushes. Could it be a capacitor issue?

It's a combination check/unloader valve. I cleaned and lubricated it, and it appears to be working fine. The tank holds pressure - the unloader just vents the tube between the tank and the compressor.

Good thought, but the pressure switch seems to be functioning well. I am getting around the problem by turning down the pressure below the point where the motor stalls. But, that's only about 90 psi, which is not as much as I'd like. Plus, the problem seems to be getting worse.

Thanks!

Reply to
Sparks Fergusson

Actually, it's a mechanical unloader (combination check valve/unloader, which I have already cleaned and lubricated.) It seems to be working well.

The pressure swicth seems to be working fine. If I turn down the pressure adjustment, I can get the contactor to turn off the motor before it stalls, but that's only 90-95 psi or so. If I adjust it higher, the motor is unable to turn the compressor if the pressure is more than 95-100psi. It's definitely the motor stalling, not the pressure switch opening.

Thanks!

Reply to
Sparks Fergusson

Line voltage is OK, about 123 volts. It drops to around 121 volts when the motor stalls. Voltage drop across the pressure switch is minimal (less than a volt.) I'm not using an extension cord.

The compressor is oil filled, and has oil in it (although it is rather old oil, come to think of it.) But, I can easily turn the compressor over by hand and it feels like it's moving freely, with no excess friction or binding.

Thanks!

Reply to
Sparks Fergusson

I can turn it easily by hand, so it doesn't appear to be binding. However, I don't have an easy way to check it when it's at full load. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply to
Sparks Fergusson

Current draw. 1/3 horse shouldn't draw more than 7 amps at 120 volts or 3.5 amps at 240 volts.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Well, it's been working for a long time, but over the past few months has been exhibiting the stalling issue.

I guess the guage could be wrong, but I kind of know what 120psi "feels like" and it's not getting up to what it used to, either by the guage or by feel.

Reply to
Sparks Fergusson

The compressor speed does not slow down normally, it just starts to sound a bit different under load.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Nameplace current rating is 6.0 amps (I'm running on 120 volts.)

I measured about 5 amps at startup (0 psi) rising to close to 6 when it stalls. When it stops turning, the current actually drops back closer to 5 amps, then increases as the motor starts turning again.

The motor is also hot to the touch after pumping all the way up. I can hold my hand on it for maybe 6 or 8 seconds. I don't know if that's different from how it used to be, though.

Thanks!

Reply to
Sparks Fergusson

It didn't used to, that's for sure. Now, it slows all the way to 0. :(

Reply to
Sparks Fergusson

Can you disconnect the motor from the pump and run just the motor to measure its no load amps? And to see if it heats up with no load?

Reply to
Meat Plow

Assuming it's a 120V/240V motor connected for 120, can you check to see if both run windings are actually connected? Perhaps a nut is working loose on the terminal plate inside the motor.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Douglas

No load, it's drawing about 1.5 amps. It gets warm, but not as hot as it was under load.

Reply to
Sparks Fergusson