Affordable basic DSl service

I would like to upgrade my dialup service which I presently have with 1acce ss.net to DSL. We had DSL through the local phone company in the past at 1M B/s for 35.00 per month and we were told that rate was the cheapest they c ould offer us. We have since learned that other providers can also offer us DSL over an existing phone line. So far 1ccess is the only provider that s ays that they can offer it for around 25.00 a month but for some reason the y can't guarantee that it will work from my location. Their dialup service sucks and they don't seem to be very responsive to customer problems. Most messages left on their answering machine are never returned. Sometimes the dialup is totally unusable. Everyone else says that the only other provider is Comcast and I am not looking for that. I am having trouble and this is very frustrating trying to find companies that will do just the DSL on an e xisting phone line other than my local company who wants to rape me again and 1access who can't guarantee it will work. We are part of an independent telephone company that services 5 towns in our area. Maybe that is the rea son for this. We don't need anything too extravagant. With the 1M we had in the past we were able to watch an occasional video or catch a recap of a TV show we might have missed. Does anyone know if there are in fact other p roviders that can come in and do this? I've heard that this could be found for as cheaply as 15.00 per month. Why does this have to be so damn difficu lt? If anyone can help me with this I'd sure appreciate it. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

Been there, done that. The problem is that while federal law requires the phone co. (owners of the copper wire) to open up the wire to other vendors, they don't require them to provide the 3rd party DSL vendor with any level of quality. I had DirecTV DSL on a Southwestern Bell phone line, and when AT&T bought SW Bell, the line quality dropped badly, even phone service was bad. When the DSL wouldn't work, DirecTV said they couldn't make AT&T fix the lines, in fact they couldn't even ASK!!! AT&T to see if they could improve it. So, I had to move to a cable modem.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Same here. My SWBell line is underground and it filled with water years ago. AT&T wouldn't replace it. We had to go with cable for both internet and phone service. From your previous DSL speed, it appears that you are a long distance from the exchange.

Reply to
chuck

t guarantee it will work. We are part of an independent telephone company that services 5 towns in our area. Maybe that is the reason for this. We don't need anything too extravagant. With the 1M we had in the past we were able to watch an occasional video or catch a recap of a TV show we might have missed. Does anyone know if there are in fact other providers that can come in and do this? I've heard that this could be found for as cheaply as 15.00 per month. Why does this have to be so damn difficult? If anyone can help me with this I'd sure appreciate it. Lenny

Is mobile "phone" data-only mifi an option ?

Reply to
N_Cook

I had little problem getting AT&T out to replace the buried drop at my house. But, they had a maze of buried and aerial cables from the CO to our area, and they were in awful shape due to repeated lightning strikes. The guy would often have to go through dozens of abandoned pairs to find one that appeared to work, but after hours or days of talk battery applied to it, it would start breaking down, and he'd have to try another pair. I started out at 11,000 (good pair) feet from the CO, which worked quite well. After a few years, I was 18,000 feet of crummy pair from the CO, and DSL was extremely poor at maybe 100 KBPS download.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

The last time I I talked to a tech from the phone company, (I consider this a real privilege when this happens), he told me we were 87 poles from the CO. That's 2.2 miles on CAT3. I don't know if that's an issue or not. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com... I would like to upgrade my dialup service which I presently have with

[...]

Exede satellite internet service. I was paying over $50 a month for .512 Mbps with Centurylink, which is the most God Awful Company On The Planet.

Klaatu

Don't forget that the lines themselves vary in quality, and therefore in their data-carrying capacity. If the lines are mediocre, there's little you or any phone company can do about it.

Before I went to Comcast, I asked about DSL. The phone lines in my area use some sort of digital distribution that just isn't compatible with DSL.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

If you live somewhere where there is no other option, Exede looks quite good. Not insanely expensive, and the specs seem to indicate pretty good performance. But, I don't know anyone who's used them.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Yup those neighborhood clusters of 3 tan boxes are "RT"s, or remote terminals. They are basically a several hundred subscriber line central office, but with relatively limited features. They actually CAN support DSL if another box is added, but most phone companies opt to keep it simple. These things run off a T-3 line or fiber version of that.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I can vouch for them! Works great! Just try to get the dish low enough to remove ice, if you live in such a climate where its possible. I get great service, plus, anything from midnight to 5am is unmetered, no limits. I work evenings, so this works out perfect for me. YMMV. I get 10 gigs usage per month, unlimited after midnight, constant 1 meg down, with initial bursts up to 6 megs. I got in on the government program, which has now ended, $39.95 a month for everything guaranteed price forever, with a one year contract. I'm happy! The data plan and speed you choose will determine what you pay.

Klaatu