Advent Legacy II Speaker Driver

Would anyone know, the DC resistance for the main driver, and the impedance of the main driver used in the Advent Legacy II speaker box?

I know that the total speaker unit is rated at 6 ohms. I need to know the bass driver's DC resistance.

Thanks.

--
Jerry G.
======

On Sep 2, 6:54 am, "Jerry G." wrote: > Would anyone know, the DC resistance for the main driver, and the impedance > of the main driver used in the Advent Legacy II speaker box? >

Most of Advents speakers were 8 ohm impedance with the notable exception of the 'smaller Advent loudspeaker' which was a 4 ohm system. I have 2 old 'larger Advent' woofers in need of foam. The voice coils read 4.97 and 4.92 ohms with a Fluke 8060. And no, I'm not interested in selling them.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

I have a pair of Legacy II and a pair of Prodigy II. I sent out all the drivers for rebuild. On the instruction sheets that came with the boxes, they indicate 6 ohms. I was curious about the driver DC resistance. I don't have them with me at this time to take a reading.

I am using the Legacy II which is a 10 inch driver as the bass speaker. I stack the Prodigy II on top to form a column, which is an 8 inch driver. I have them bi-amped with 2 Crown PowerTech II amplifiers via an electronic crossover. I use the smaller box for the mids and highs. I use the larger box for the bass drive. I equalized them for the room using an Ashley parametric EQ with phase compensation, and an acoustic spectrum scope. I rewired the inside of the boxes with Belden AWG #12, and rebuilt their internal crossovers, I feed them with Belden AWG#10 from the amps. I am able to get a total frequency response down to less than 30 Hz, and clean up to about 24 kHz within a few Db. The THD was measured at less than 3%. The amps are over 300 w/CH at 8 ohms with a damping of more than 1200.

I listen mostly to opera, classical, and jazz. The performance sounds like it is live in the room! My listening room is 26 X 16 feet.

The speaker rebuilder told me that the foam will rot in about 6 to 10 years. I asked about using another type, such as a rubber base. He told me that it will change the accuracy of the driver from its original design. He suggested to stay with the foam to have the original specs, and put up with getting them rebuilt again.

For the specifications that these speaker boxes can put out, they were very reasonable in their price. These boxes are very well constructed, and with the proper set-up, they can put out very accurate and very re-enforced sound.

--
Jerry G.
======
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jerry G.
10 years. > I asked about using another type, such as a rubber base. He told me that it > will change the accuracy of the driver from its original design. He > suggested to stay with the foam to have the original specs, and put up with > getting them rebuilt again. >

I had read somewhere that the foam breakdown is from fungus. The new foams supposedly have fungicide to slow that process. The first pair I re-foamed about 5 years ago and as of now, show no visible signs of rot and more importantly, they don't have that dampish crumbly feel. Best part is they sound great.

That foam kit came with replacement dustcaps and clear plastic shims to put in the voice coil while working on the surround. These are the _old_ drivers with the masonite rings to reduce the driver size while allowing a cheap stamped basket back in '73. I removed the masonite by heating the edge with a hot air gun to removed all the old junk and mount the new foam the same as the original. The masonite was originally held in with contact cement but I used silicone bathtub caulk from frame to masonite and white latex to hold the foam to the ring and the cone. A bucket load of spring clothepins held the outside in place as the silicone cured. Took maybe an hour per driver but 24 hrs for the adhesives to be done. Later kits (total of 6 units -- I have 8) were done without the shim and dustcap replacement in even less time. They work fine also. The original driver to box seal was Mortite - rope caulk but the DAP product is fine.

GG

Reply to
stratus46

Generally, the bass driver has the lowest Z. With a nominal 6 ohms, 4 to 5 ohms DC resistance sounds typicaly right.

greg

Reply to
GregS