adding a line input to a ghetto blaster

i hava a portable stereo that doesn't have "line in" jacks. Is there anyway to add such jacks and how?

TIA

Reply to
Siamak SimKesh

Try connecting your audio in to the high side of the volume control potentiometer. If that sounds OK, put in jacks and a switch.

Reply to
Jim Harvey

I once tapped into one at the inputs from the tape head to feed a CD-player into it. (The tape transport was broke, and I hadn't used it in ages anyway) Worked nicely after I dropped a couple attenuating resistors into the mix so it wasn't over-driving the amp. Ran a set of wires to the back, drilled a couple holes, and stuck a pair of RCA plugs on it - plug in, set to tape, punch play, fire up the CD player, The music goes 'round and 'round, and it comes out here.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info

It should be noted that that signal will go thru a NAB de-emphisis network. (equalization curve). http://66.102.9.104/images?q=NAB+curve

Reply to
JeffM

I didn't claim it was "hi-fi" - Just that it worked!

With the normal "audio hash" of the environment it was in, I doubt anyone would ever know the difference anyway. It was "good enough for the purpose", at the very least.

--
Don Bruder - dakidd@sonic.net - If your "From:" address isn't on my whitelist,
ever knowing it arrived. Sorry...  for more info
Reply to
Don Bruder

It's not like the speakers on a "Getto Blaster" are hi-fi anyway.. You'd probably never know the difference on those cheap speakers they have in them.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

maybe... the easiest way would be one of those casette-shaped things people used to use to connect cd players to car sterios.

otherwise you'd need to tap into the circuit near the mode selecttor switch (if it has one)

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Jasen Betts spake thus:

I agree with the poster who suggested tapping the output from the volume control. This part is easy to locate and solder wires to, and is (so far as I know) always more or less at "line" level, being an interstage control. That's where I would do it.

--
Pierre, mon ami. Jetez encore un Scientologiste
dans le baquet d'acide.

- from a posting in alt.religion.scientology titled
"France recommends dissolving Scientologists"
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

thank you all for the advice.

:)

--
MB
Reply to

Not tape head surely as this would have special eq as with vinyl? Tape deck perhaps?

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Buy a panel mounting break jack type of the size you need.

Locate the volume control. Break the PCB track(s) that feeds the centre pin(s) by cutting with a sharp knife and clean either side. Solder suitable lengths of wire to either side of the break(s) If a stereo - hence the (s) - switch on and identify left and right by touching the input wire to the volume control - you'll get a buzz out of the appropriate channel. Referring to the diagram of the jack socket, wire each side to the break contacts. Connect ring to ground.

The three connections to a stereo jack are ring (ground) sleeve (right) and tip (left).

But before find a suitable place to mount the socket on the case making sure there is clearance behind. Keep it as far away from the mains transformer as possible. You could use miniature co-ax for the connections but in most cases ordinary wire will be just fine.

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In sci.electronics.repair Siamak SimKesh wrote: : i hava a portable stereo that doesn't have "line in" jacks. Is there : anyway to add such jacks and how?

: TIA

Try using one of those cassette tape adapters that are used for CD players and iPods.

b.

Reply to
<barry

Or you can use a battery operated FM transmitter too.

Reply to
Robert Nogo

replying to a thread 11 months later? why?!