Adding a keypad to a home alarm system

I'm hoping someone here might have some expertise with this issue. I recently bought a house with a pre-installed ADT alarm system. System was installed in 2000. User manual says it is either a VIA-30PSE or a Vista-10SE. I believe it is the latter. It has a single 6127/6128 keypad in the house. The semi-detached garage has a motion detector. I would like to add another keypad to the garage, since getting into/out of the car/pulling in/pulling out/opening/shutting the garage door before the entry/exit delay is proving to be a bit of a push. . Right now, I have that zone bypassed, but this is a pain, not only because I WANT protection out there, but also because (apparently) you have to BYPASS the zone EACH TIME re-activate the system. I've run all kinds of wiring & am not concerned with the technical aspects of installing the keypad, but I'm wondering what keypad to get. 6128 keypads are available used on Ebay, new ones are surprisingly expensive. Also, all I have is the fairly useless from a technical standpoint user manual. Is there any technical info online, as to how & where to connect a

2nd pad to the system?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Dan

With mine (not the same make) the instructions for installing a remote keypad were in the installation instruction manual *and* with the remote itself. But it sounds like the installers haven't left the installation manual.

Mine required a 6 core cable and the insertion of an IC (supplied) in a socket in the main board. All easy peasy if you're used to this sort of thing, but I'd guess not if not. I'd expect a modern one to be easier though with less wires needed.

--
*Succeed, in spite of management *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is this made by Ademco (probably badged ADT)?

If you don't have the install manual, just google: "Model # you listed" install manual. The install manual, like mentioned in another reply, probably has the instructions for keypad installation, along with information on installing additonal sensors, etc.

I checked the Vista10SE Model on google, plenty of hits.

Reply to
nvic

City? State?

Try

and look for your model.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

These panels are made by ADEMCO. They are connected by a four conductor wire. Inside, the wire colors are red, black, yellow & green. Adding the 2nd keypad is very easy.

Inside the main control box, usually located in a utility room, you'll see where the other keypad is connected. It's actually marked on the circuit board. Simply connect the 2nd keypad to the same screws that the other keypad are connected to, keeping the color code the same for each wire.

As far as cable to use, you can pick up 4 wire telephone cable pretty cheap at a place like home depot.

Reply to
Elephant

Thanks to everyone for the great replies. It is an Ademco unit, I thought I had that in the post, but obviously not. I had searched for manuals, but all I came up with were owner's manuals, which I already have. Tried again now though & found an installation manual, I feel kinda dumb for having missed it ;-/

Dan

Reply to
Dan

All what you have to do is runnig a 4 conductor wire from the desired location of the extra keypad to the control panel put the balck in pin #4 red #5 green #6 and yellow #7 and in the keypad it will have 4 pins y for yellow + for red - for black g for green. with a brand new keypad you should be all set. For a used one the adress might have been changed in the keypad if it doesn't work once you plugged it; push 1 and 3 at the same time in the keypad it will show a number, change it to 31 the hit the * button et voila . good luck

Reply to
anisgars

Have you googled it first because I don't know a thing about modern security systems.

My security system runs on Alpo and responds to whistling and "here boy".

Reply to
Malissa Baldwin