Actual Length of 4/3 A NIMH Flat Top Cells With Tabs

I'm finding several cell lengths specified for 4/3 A cells, from 65 to

67.5mm. Cells with tabs can vary in length due to wavy welds, but probably not much.

I'm considering Varta or FDK brands with 4100 mAh ratings, and shorter cells don't seem to be available in 4000+ ratings.

I'm trying to determine if 4 cells length-wise will fit into a space of about 260.3mm or 10.25".

Avoid using your metal calipers on a charged cell, eh?

Thanks

--
Cheers,
WB

Does the specified "length" account for the tabs? I would think not.

4 x 65 = 260, so it seems unlikely they'd fit.

Harbor Freight sells cheap plastic calipers.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Thanks, William. The cells are apparently also available in consumer button-top style cases, which may be what the 67.5mm spec is attributed to.

Sellers and manufacturers often aren't critical about listing the proper/correct specs.

I have a little wiggle room in the overall length (spring cotacts for the battery pack), but not much. I'm fairly certain that the OEM used the 4/3 A size cells in the original battery pack, but I don't have one to open and inspect. (4100 mAh rating and sub-C cells are too large in diameter to fit).

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Larry at TNR Batteries measured their FDK America HR-4/3FAUX and Panasonic

4/3 A NIMH cells and reported 66.25mm in length.

This length makes these 4/3 A cells just a little too long for the application, although I don't know of any other sizes smaller than a sub-C diameter with a 4000+ mAh capacity.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I received my order of 4/3 A NIMH 4500mAh cells (with tabs) and they measure closer to 66.11mm in length (not 66.25 mentioned previously).

Markings show that these cells from TNR Technical Inc were manufactured in Japan, which I consider an indicator of very good quality in batteries and most other items.

It appears that normal compression of the spring contacts built into the housing will enable me to fit 4 cells lengthwise in the case along with suitable temperature protection device and resettable fuse for current protection.. which should always be considered, IMO, when using rechargeable cells.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Wild_Bill"  wrote in message
> I'm finding several cell lengths specified for 4/3 A cells, from 65 to
> 67.5mm.
> Cells with tabs can vary in length due to wavy welds, but probably not
> much.

Reply to
Wild_Bill