ACER keyboard model 6312-tw - odd problem

I have this keyboard (for PC), with a strange fault. you can type normally then after a few seconds it stops responding in certain parts - notably the top row of letters ISTR. I find that if you type slowly, it is a bit more receptive. seems like there's some kind of 'memory effect' going on.

I know normally this would be a no-brainer, as these aren't worth repairing, but it's a nice 'clicky' one which responds well to the touch when it works, so if it is something simple I'd have a go at a fix..... any thoughts?

-B

I bet it's not the keyboard, but a slow responding computer. Have you tried another keyboard to be sure only this keyboard has the effect, and have you tried this keyboard on another computer??

Reply to
hrhofmann

IT definitely isn't the PC (AMB 1.Ghz 512 RAM), as different keyboards work fine on it. the same problem happens when I connect the acer KB to other PCs- it is certainly faulty in some way

.B

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:23:36 -0700 (PDT), b put finger to keyboard and composed:

If there is a problem with the key matrix, it will show up as a dead row or a dead column. Note that physical rows and columns do not usually correspond to electrical rows and columns.

You can use this old DOS program in real DOS mode to report the scan codes of each key:

(172 bytes)

There are two sets of scan codes for each key, one pair for key press, and a second pair for key release.

Otherwise Microsoft's Intellitype software includes an mskey.exe diagnostic test which displays and logs the scan codes of each key. I believe it should work with a standard 101 keyboard.

For example, here are the scan codes for my Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite keyboard, model 1011:

You may find the following document interesting.

MS Keyboard Scan Code Specification:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar