a question

All right. I will preface this by giving a little background, as I was called on the carpet for not doing before. I would like to make a device called an onomatograph. What you do is disassemble an old television and remove the horizontal deflection coil. Put it in the other one, (you have two television sets, one with both coils and one that you nip the coils out of) and connect them. then you connect it to a sound output device like a stereo and it produces the effects similar to windows media player's visualisations. however, if I am to make this, there are a few questions still remaining

  1. can I do something with the remote to be able to select which pattern, like stars or spirals I can get?
  2. is there a way to put wireless headphones between the output of the stereo and the input of the scope?
  3. can it be done in colour and if so how? Thank you guys for any help you can provide. if you are curious about it just google onomatograph. Thanks
--
J. T. Laurie
Watcher of the Seals,

Dayumm...

Seems like a lot of trouble to enhance the effects of your recreational-pharmaceutical-of-choice. Dangerous to boot.

Voltages of up to (and possibly in excess) of 1500 volts occur inside televisions. Many are "hot-chassis" devices. If you happen to insert yourself into such a circuit either by accident or stupidity, it could _really_ ruin your day. It could also ruin your supporting equipment, cause excessive lost of magic smoke, threaten real-estate and lots-O- other disasterous stuff.

And, you are watching a BOX for crissakes.

All that being written:

a) You can as well do it with color, but the deflection coils are typically ahead of the focusing coils and one for each color beam, so you may have a placement issue as you are essentially creating an interference pattern with the added coil(s). You may also have to deal with three additional deflection coils vs. only one, requiring possibly three input channels. b) You will have NO control over the patterns. That is fixed by the random magnetic field generated in the additional coil, generated by the music, generated by the otherwise position of the beam from the existing deflection-coil. Too many variables. c) You are using speaker-output level input I gather. Be absolutely careful NOT to short the speaker outputs to each other (Right and Left shorted together). *POOF* is the typical result in the output devices. d) There is no reason why you cannot insert a wireless headphone driver in the system, other than I do not know what sort of loading these coils will put on the output of whatever device is connected. You may get considerable (change that to "will") imbalance.

Good luck with it. Please keep any and all children, small animals, impaired adults and random wanderers away from this thing any time it is plugged into the mains whether on or off.

Censtron & wobblevision have websites dedicated to this... well, words fail.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Reply to
J. T. Laurie

Then you don't move to another newsgroup to do so. And you don't pick a newsgroup that's about the repair of electronic equipment.

And you don't use a subject header that says nothing about the topic.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Many of your questions were answered on the basics board.

Your response there was petulant, and I see you learned nothing.

Reply to
Don Bowey

With respect, anytime one modifies a piece of equipment away from factory/design specifications and standards, there is a danger of something going wrong. With a "hot-chassis" device, the consequences are not so good. With a hot-chassis device with as much as 1500V on it, the consequences are potentially spectacular. Unless such modifications are done by someone expert in the field and knowledgeable of the consequences... and able to account for it all, the results will be marginal at best.

I would not want you or yours or a random passer-by to be part of a 'spectacle'.

Now, if your real goal is to have random patterns generated on your television driven by a music source, you might go there directly. There are several makers of AF-to-RF generators designed exactly for what you intend and that would give you color, pattern style control so-forth to any screen you wish that accepts an RF modulator. There are also computer programs for the purpose. Others here might point you there, but I am sure a focused google-search will turn up something.

Peter Wieck Wyncote, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Reply to
J. T. Laurie

You should listen to your grandmother! She knows a lot! :)

Real Programmers Do things like this.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jamie

No need to do that. I've done this with a TV set by disconnecting the yoke from the chassis, and hooking one channel of a stereo to the horizontal yoke and the other channel to the vertical. Remove any passive components on the yoke. Whether or not this could be bad for your amplifier is another story, but it didn't seem to harm my old Kenwood amp...

Reply to
JW

Reply to
J. T. Laurie
[top posting corrected]

Uh huh...

Reply to
JW

Reply to
J. T. Laurie

Could be either, I suppose. If you're not pulling my leg, then I don't think I can help you. Sorry.

Reply to
JW