A little fun to lighten these dark times ...

It never ceases to amaze me what comes through the workshop door. This week's bizarre item - taken in for me to look at by a music shop !! - was a strange sort of 'Dalek' thingy on four castors. About three and a half feet tall, with a large control panel on top, and lots of intimidating attachments sprouting from a bunch of connectors at the back. Turned out to be a home 'Ultrasonic Liposuction Machine' ...

It's unbelievable what people will shell out their hard-earned on. Anyways, this thing comes from China, and it had lasted for all of 5 minutes before a burning smell, and cessation of all functionality. The proud owners had got back onto the company who made it, who helpfully suggested that they return it for repair / replacement. Shipping ? 160 quid ! So they decided to ignore the warranty and let me have a look. In the meantime, the manufacturers sent the guy a replacement main board. Anyways, long story short, there was a bloody great transistor in the middle of the board that was short. I'm not sure if it is for the 500kHz RF output, or the 40kHz Ultrasonic output, but whichever, the fact of it being short, had twatted the primary of the mains transformer, before the now shorted turns, had blown the mains fuse. The three secondary windings had no fusing of their own. The final decision was to replace the three winding tranny, with three individual trannies sourced in the UK, and to fit secondary fuses. This all done, with the replacement board in, it worked again.

So what about the "fun" bit ? Well, I'm sure that we've all seen the 'translated direct from the Japanese' user manuals of thirty years ago, and had a good laugh. Seems now that the art of producing funny manuals, has passed to the Chinese. I've seen some pretty good ones over the last few years, but I reckon that the one for this piece of equipment, has to be the best yet.

Here's a couple of examples

  • Ultrasonic Liposuction Equipment, through high energy deep-level transport, takes 1100nm-1500nm high ultrasonic head to shoot out violent energy, produces itch cavitation in cellulite cells, forms
  • countless tiny vacuum oxygen bubbles, by means of the pressure to make FAT cells membrane, act on the cellulite, breaks them, then exhaust out of the body by lymphatic system.

and

  • It takes the most advanced RF technique and energy, directly penetrate into deep-seated cellulite. With targeted oriented RF output, it makes the fatty cells in quick active state, produces heat friction,
  • higher the partial temperature. Through the sweat gland, liver sausage circulation and lymph, exhaust the redundant fatness and toxins out of the body, so get the effect of cellulite dissolving.

The whole thing can be seen at

After it was repaired, I gave it a try, but I'm not sure if I exhausted any fat via my liver sausage ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

BT Barnum had something to say about people that buy this sort of thing...

I wouldn't even turn it onto test it, sounds dangerous at best!

John :-#)#

                     www.flippers.com
John Robertson

Liver sausage? You 'Brits' will eat anything! ;-)

A guy on the Antique radio group collects quack medical devices, so I'll send him the link. This would fit right in with his collection of

100 year old quackery. :)
Michael A. Terrell

You get to have all the fun.

How crude. The high fashion technique is to do the same thing with a laser.

I know people that have had this treatment and there is a visible loss of fat from the process. The problem with "breaking down fat" or dieting is that they just empty the fat cells from their contents. The cells still remain, and tend to rapidly fill with fat again. What's needed is a way to destroy the fat cells and their contents. The problem is that its a rather bloody procedure. The ultrasonic method make a big mess, bursting both fat cells and capillaries. The laser is somewhat more precise. The mess is washed away by the blood stream, not the lymphatic system, which is really slow. It only works on fat that's near the skin (subcutaneous) and doesn't do anything for fat buried under the muscles (visceral). It's also sufficiently messy that the involvement of a doctor is usually a good idea. Anyway, it's not total quackery, but it's close.

Also, a friends son recently returned from Hong Kong, where he worked at translating technical documents and manuals from Chinese into English. The big surprise was that many companies didn't care if their manuals made any sense in English. They've found that the products sell on the basis of price, and such luxuries as quality, spare parts, documentation, and service have little effect on sales.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com               jeffl@cruzio.com
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com               AE6KS
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Did you report the use of beavers as motive devices to the Humane Society?

Hope they didn't gnaw on your furniture. (The beavers, not the Humane Society.)

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Arfa,

Wasn't there a Dr. Who episode a couple of years ago where an alien race was selling a diet plan which was actually using the fat in the human host to create their young? As I recall they got fond out by the young leaving in the middle of the night, triggering home security systems. All of which sounds more effective and plausible than this machine.

Crappy Hissmass, I mean Happy Christmas to all. (Or Chanukah if that's your gig.)

Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Yeah, in the case of this machine, especially, details of how it "works" might be a BIG turn-off to potential consumers, as well as causing medical regulatory agencies to want to confiscate the horror right at the port of entry.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Arfa Daily Inscribed thus:

I think I would be concerned about what it might do to other cells in the body !

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

A "home" liposuction machine????Are they serious? How about a DIY brain surgery kit? It could come with an electric drill and a mirror. You can save some beer money and use your own drill. This must be another way the Chinese are identifying and weeding out the morons in our society stupid enough to buy one of these things. I can do the same thing, (melt some fat) with a waveguide at 23GHZ. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

et

s,

e a

ot

rn

ore

ent

ut

ns

as

ed

nd

he

FAT

ny

I wonder if that machine is what this guy used:

"A San Francisco man who allegedly posed as a doctor and performed liposuction on an unsuspecting woman then flushed the fat down her toilet was arrested Thursday and is facing several felony charges, prosecutors said."

But seriously, I'd be worried that repairing medical equipment would expose you to some sort of liability, especially if a patient were to be electrocuted.

Reply to
spamtrap1888

You left out the home colonoscopy machine from Harbor Freight. :-)

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

It wasn't all quackery. Medical vibrators probably did a lot of good for the mental health of Victorian ladies.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

It's a good thing it doesn't work or multiple blood clots would kill.

zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

The raw UV emitted by crude lamps didn't cure cancer, migraines or anything else. If anything, they likely caused skin cancer. There are people who collect quack equipment for a hobby. One is on the antique radio newsgroup.

Michael A. Terrell

Users might qualify for the Darwin award! Cheers, Roger

Reply to
Roger Jones

on

Sounds like you had to get quite a lot done including sourcing the transformers and adding fuses.. Was this an expensive repair? Though I suppose, provided the cost was under the 160 notes charged by the manufacturers for shipping, then its owners would have been happy. Plus your mod would ensure future reliability - making the thing even more so than when it left the factory!

Oh God, please tell me you're not a Daily mail reader. In my experience, people who go on about the supposed 'PC brigade' (whoever they are) usually belong to the lunatic right, frothing at the mouth about their own myths like 'winterval' or whatever. But I digress...Happy new year!

-B

Weeeellll ... I do read the MoS, but not the Daily one. It did used to have some fairly good political comment from the likes of William Rees-Mogg, but for some unknown reason, they have recently dropped his column, which I think is a sad loss to the overall content balance of the paper. It seems to be dumbing down now almost by the week, and I think that is in no small part due to them wishing to accommodate all of the News of the World readers that they've picked up from that paper's demise. The letters page is now a travesty compared to what it was, and I can't understand why they even keep taking copy from some of the contributors. There's a couple of them that write such drivel every week, it's hard to make sense of the content in its own right sometimes, and even more so when it doesn't even make grammatical sense. I think that soon, I will probably cease wasting my money to buy it, but the thing is, I do enjoy a relaxing read of a Sunday paper, and it's getting hard to find one that has a good balance of reliable reporting, whilst remaining entertaining to read. Not everyone who reads the Mail is a member of 'The Lunatic Right'. Yes, I will admit to having a right-wise leaning, but I wouldn't count myself as a mouth-frother, any more than left-leaners in this country, who actually have just as many mouth-frothers among their numbers ... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily