8mm playback problem

Is there any way to recover footage recorded on digital 8mm video? I recorded an entire 120 minute tape on a sony DCR-TRV520. I had even reviewed the footage. Then 5 minutes into the tape it appears to have been erased. I get a gray screen.

The counter continues to run. In fact the audio is still there, but a gray screen for video. Now according to you the data is still there but how do I recover it. Right now I am the only one I know with a 8mm video camera. I'm thinking I can sneak it into BestBuy and play it on one of their machines.

Just prior to this problem the camera developed a problem caused by the tape being stuck in the carrage. I forcedthe tape out and then I could only get a blue screen on play back wt anytape. I took the cover off to access the tape head to clean , and the camera started working. I finished cleaning the head and reassembled the camera and discovered the missing footage on the last tape I used.

To repeat the problem now: the video dissapears 5 minutes into the playback, the tape counter continues to count; and them audio of the original taping.

Reply to
AtomicTom