20 year old Sony KV-25XBR

Hello all. I have a 20 year old set that was killer in it's day. Heck, it cost me a grand that long ago.

The problem that developed today is that the picture is well, shimmering would be the best description. It affects the geometry and the color and both kind of waver.

The question is whether or not it's worth repairing or to trash it. If I can fi nd a schematic, a friend of mine is pretty good at fixing TV's, if he has the time. Any idea in general, what went south on this TV? Yesterday it still had a great picture. Thanks!

Reply to
Armand

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Armand) wrote in news:jcSdnYFZLeUB2wrZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

41519

Remember, Google is your friend.

Reply to
Jim Land

Sounds like a simple degaussing coil thermister, I replace mine on my KV2786R twice already. It the little black box (not the relay) where the AC cord meets the main board......has 3 pins.costs $2

Waving a soldering gun **NOT AN IRON (wile pulling the trigger) or tape head de-magnetizer around the edges of the screen will temporarily "comb" it out if the case "confirm"

Reply to
RP

trash it get a HDTV

Reply to
Master Matt

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:51:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Armand) put finger to keyboard and composed:

Does this set have a "H-stat"?

If so, this old post of mine may help:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Start by replaceing the degaussing thermosistor.

I am sure that because of the age of the set, there must be many capacitors that have become high in ESR. The CRT is most likely going soft.

It is coming time to let the set bite the dust, and start shopping for a new one. TV has changed a lot since that set was made.

Jerry G. ======

Armand wrote:

cost

fi

Reply to
Jerry G.

In data Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:27:35 +0200, Master Matt ha scritto:

What an amazing reply. Why?

--
Inty.Evolution
intiglietta@email.it -> per email normali e con immagini Jpeg

In data Tue, 20 Jun 2006 02:51:40 +0200, Armand ha scritto:

This is a Sony, surely it worth the repair if the C.R.T. is in good shape.

--
Inty.Evolution
intiglietta@email.it -> per email normali e con immagini Jpeg
Reply to
Inty XP

=

Thanks Jim. For some reason I tried, but Google gurgled.

Reply to
Armand

head

RP: Funny you should say that, because it kinda looked like a magnetized CRT except that it flutters. Usually, an affected CRT would look like a tie-dye shirt.

If I find the part number, where can I order the thermistor? Thanks.

Reply to
Armand

I have one in the family room. This is a second TV in the living room for the kids when I'm watching HBO.

Reply to
Armand

Actually, it's amazing that the picture is still quite good when it works and was a killer in it's day. When I look back, it was actually worth the 1K price. It was interesting to see the same TV used as a monitor on local stations during news broadcasts back then.

Thanks for your response, Jerry. I'm sure the electrolytics have dried out by now. I plan on checking for any bulging or leaking E-caps. I get a chance to open it up,

both

grea

Reply to
Armand