Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: CD laser assembly replacement on the cheap
Is the soldering iron's tip properly grounded? Our limit at Microdyne was three ohms form the tip, to the bench's ground connection to the electrical system.

Bug zapper questions
Hi, I want to switch this bug zapper over to led or cfl light. I figured t he hi voltage transformer primary was 120v but the primary is connected to the florescent bulbs. I guess so you have to buy...
4
4

Do Polyswitches ever go bad?
The discussion of the device in series with the Cannon XLR jogged my memories of the Polyswitch, a protective device whose resistance jumps up when sufficiently heated (via current), but goes back...
7
7

Sony Rcvr STR-DE675 random loud pops
My Sony STR-DE675 Receiver (at least ten years old by now) has started to make random loud pops to the speakers (I have only the main L and R speakers attached). The "protect" mode activates and so...
8
8

Need recommendation for hot air rework tool.
I would like to ask you all what suggestions you would have for a hot air rework tool. I wouldn't be using it often but occasionally I get a pc board with smd (leaky) caps that need replacing. I see...
15
15

Fixing a cellphone??
I have a Samsung Stratosphere smart phone. I use it as a tablet. When I turn it on, it starts to boot, hits the splash screen then goes into a loop where it just displays "SAMSUNG" over and over. The...
6
6

DVD Media Player Drive Belt Replacement
I have a DVD Media Player Drive sd-6100ku Toshiba with a slipping DVD door opening drive belt. The door will open if I give it a slight push from inside the unit. I looked at using an O-Ring but the...
2
2

Opening the case of a VisionQuest 2200W monitor.
Hi, For a repair, I want to open the case of a VisionQuest 2200W monitor. Photo at . The four screws along the bottom are easily removed. The sides remain firmly stuck, as if fastened by clasps or...
2
2

Schematic Source for "Gladding Islander" by Pearce Simpson
Hi, I Googled for a schematic source for "Gladding Islander" by Pearce Simpson without success. This is a radio direction finder. I am willing to pay for it. Does anyone know a source? Thank You in...

PTC resistor, by any other name...
My refrigerator died. It was Friday evening when I took notice, and transferred half the contents to coolers with ice, ate as much as wouldn't keep without freezing, and tossed a lot of the rest....

curious symptom old Fisher stereo amp, inputs strange
I have an old Fisher amplifier, looks like this model that I used for amplifying the laptop until it started acting funny and I r eplaced it with an Onkyo. It's been so long I'd forgotten what was...
44
44

Possible chemistry question
After almost twenty (I think) years on this group, I know that it's not a chemical or metallurgy forum, however with all the talented people here I was hoping that someone could possibly offer a...
21
21

Transciever VFO worn out?
Hi all, I'm a bit of a vintage radio nut and have just acquired a Kenwood TS530SP rig from a fellow ham who's sadly no longer around. Anyway, he must have been an avid band-scanner, as the VFO bearing...
3
3

Mitsubishi Vertical Linear Tracking Turntable
Got one of thes long distance problems on one. It is an X-11 Interplay syst em. It is about the same as an X-10 and the standalone LT-640. I replaced t he amp in it, and by that I mean replaced...

Determing DC power input polarity
Hi all, I bought a ton of surplus electronic gear (almost literally) and among some of the cases of odd bits and whatnot I came across an AOR AR3000 "communications receiver" (I use quotes as it's...
4
4