Subject Author Posted Replies

Dead laptop keys after disassembly
I have an Acer E15 net book that runs Xubuntu. Recently the back panel of the clamshell case cracked, and I had to replace it with a part from eBay. This required disassembling the laptop and removing...

Phone listening stops working
I live in Md. and have Verizon copper for phone and DSL. The phone I use mostly and for these incidents is hard-wired, though fwliw the base of that phone is also the connection for cordless phones...
14
14

PC Smoke
Quad Core Desktop Windows 7 PC been running for several days. Today plug and unplugged USB drives to make a copy to USB Drive. Started the copy and the screen went blank and the room filled with...
52
52

Non Working DM-1800 Digital MultiMeter?
Recently removed 2 Digital MultiMeters from storage. When turned on after installing new 9V batteries both did not work. Was guessing that the electrolytic capacitors need reforming so Googled and...
2
2

Fluke 8060a meter interconnect strip
I have an old IBM labelled Fluke built DMM (8060a equivalent) that hasn't w orked in years for reasons I don't recall exactly, but seem to think it was stone dead. I had it apart and left in a box...
24
24

Membrane keypads again.
Haven't had time to work on this project recently due to illness. I'm back at it. I'm still trying to figure out the reason that this synthesizer's membrane buttons keep being non-responsive. Again,...
24
24

lead free solder
I am in the US and just doing my own repairs and building. Do I need to use any of the lead free solder to repair the boards that were made usign the lead free solder? I have not bought any yet and...
23
23

old solder flux
Does the flux in solder really get old ? I have some of the older 60/40 flux core that is over 20 years old and never had any problems with it. Just getting into the SMD soldering and the tubes of...
4
4

IBM W510 Fan Error FRUNO: 60Y5493 P/N: 60Y4981
I have an old W510 with Fan Error and when I power it up with the keyboard out, I can see the fan spin for a second, and then shut down (I already blew all the dust out). I think I'll replace the fan,...
20
20

Desoldering 28 pin through hole IC
I have a piece of equipment that has a ROM chip in it which I'd like to upgrade to a newer firmware revision. I don't want to destroy the old EPROM by cutting the pins, but I'm finding it very hard to...
16
16

Old Garmin handheld GPS, battery problem
It seems the plastic housing has deformed to slightly oval tubes or something, but no rechargeable AA size batteries (2x2) comfortably slide in and out. Had to cut in from the side to make an access...
9
9

Alba LCD19advdw, LCD TV and DVD, 2009
Failed backlighting. Firstly 2 off 8pin SOIC with 4 pins commoned for heatsinking, to drive backlight Tx, on the mains SMPS LV side. Markings look like PRAAN FOS 8862C under 30x microscope, google...
8
8

terminal board n clips
I have created a negative black hole. Are the two following mateable ? is TS 200 a standard ? is there a better way ? There are 20 18g grnd wires.
2
2

Lamp with batteries
Hi all I have a lamp I use for camping. Accidently it was left with the batteries in for the winter, and they have leaked a bit. I have repaired cases like this before, usually with a file and sand...
2
2

Advice requested Whirlpool Duet Sport Washing Machine "popped"
Hi Guys, Any washing machine experienced folks here? Wife pressed the "Power" button on the Costco Whirlpool Duet Sport washing machine and then, when she pressed the separate "Start" button,...
65
65