12V dry battery question

'probably' your best bet would be to install a "DBI" (dual battery isolator).

this is a solid state device that is basically a bridge rectifier. diodes steer the charging currents to the batteries and tell the regulator when to kick in.

IME this works best when the 2 batteries are closely matched as to capacity.

Reply to
TimPerry

Can you provide details of the battery and the inverter? Also what are you powering from the inverter?

If you are using a lead acid automotive battery similar in capacity to your normal vehicle battery then all you need is a dual battery isolator such as available from

A smart charge controller such as the Arrid dual charge controller shown here is also an option

This way your vehicle alternator will keep both batteries fully charged.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

There is a kit available in Australia for an automotive charger for sealed lead acid batteries. It uses a switchmode DC-DC converter to step up the output so that an adequate (and controlled) charge will result for variable input voltage. Highly recommend you go this route.

Reply to
budgie

If you are using a smaller sealed lead acid (SLA) then you will need to use something like this (CTEK Multi XS3600)

Ross Herbert

I want to charge a 12V lead cell as used in security systems in my car to use with an inverter. I want to feed it a constant charge to allow the battery to be full all the time. Do i need to build a special charge circuit or will a diode in front be sufficient to stop reverse flow to my car battery?

Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Bart Bervoets