120V IEC inlet amp

Hi,

seems many folk are addicted to buying on-line these day but forget about the different power systems in the USA and Japan compared to the rest of the planet.

Twice recently, I have been given instrument amplifiers with IEC 3-pin inlets that are wired for 120VAC, 60Hz power.

One blew up soon as the owner plugged it in.

The second one, a Fender valve combo amp, has an auto-transformer step down that travels with it. Nevertheless, it is still vulnerable to the same accident as the first since anyone can plug 240V power into the back anytime.

On its second visit to me in a month, the 3A fuse in the back was splattered.

So, took the IEC to USA plug lead a cut off the IEC end.

Then I fitted a right angle IEC plug to the same lead.

The inlet on the amp had to be inverted so the plug would point the cable downwards when fitted. A bit of metal work had to be trimmed away.

Result: a neat installation that cannot be tampered with easily since the flush fitting plug is trapped by the removable back cover of the amp's cabinet.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

you mean a C14 inlet presumably?

I'm wondering why an average USA user would even /have/ a lead kicking around from a 240V outlet to C13 trailing plug? I mean that such a lead is rated only for 10A, so a high power appliance (typically tumble dryers and ovens?) would be more likely to be hard-wired, or perhaps use a C19/C20 connector.

Reply to
Andy Burns

--------------------

** You have misread my post.

I live in a 240V country = Australia.

The 120V gear arrives here by air or sea from dealers in the USA.

They come packed with USA 3pin to IEC 3 pin lead which cannot be used without a step-down tranny.

But that inviting IEC inlet is still a sittun thare.

Whose barking mad idea was it for the US to adopt a 240VAC Euro supply connector ???

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

There's nothing fundamentally "euro" about IEC connectors, most of the planet manages to produce equipment that's 120V/240V agnostic.

Reply to
Andy Burns

----------------------------

** Shame how they were designed and first standardised there for 240V power.
** What planet is that exactly ??

Plant Burns where every fool believes his own bullshit ??

Piss off nutcase.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I suggest upping your medication ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

------------------------------- :

** I suggest you consume a whole box of rat bait.

Die a horrible death.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The whole idea of the IEC connector was global markets. Want to sell US equipment overseas? Make it simple to switch input line voltages, and use the correct cord without having to change a hard wired cord. Apparently American guitar amp sellers haven't gotten the memo yet.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

** Bullshit.

** Strange how they are fitted to so much 120V ONLY gear then ?

For a great time, maybe still, it was not legal to sell domestic appliances in the USA user switchable to a higher voltage than 120V.

For very obvious safety reasons.

Way over your totally f***ed head.

YOU are one arrogant, revolting Ass.

.... Phil