Subject Author Posted Replies

6AU6 Plate to Grid short
My old tube tester confirmed a short in this 6AU6 tube, which explains why a resistor fried on it's socket. I know replacement is the best solution, but old tubes are getting hard to find. I always...
14
14

What does decent celestial navigation freeware on Android actually do?
Do you know anything about celestial navigation? What's important in the software? Other than sighting Polaris' angle from the horizon, and noting that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west,...
44
44

Panasonic KX-TPA50 earpiece speaker
For benefit of the archives... I just finished repairing a Panasonic KX-TPA50 handset (it's a cordless handset for their KX-TGP500/TGP550 voip base station). Symptoms were no sound from the earpiece...

Reliable Slide Switches?
I have a couple small magnetic-base gooseneck work lights mounted on my milling machine. They were designed for 20W 12V MR-16 halogen bulbs, but those get really HOT. After scorching myself a couple...
18
18

Noisy Switches
has anyone got any tips as to how to deal with these? Some of the pots and rotary switches I come across seem (at first sight at any rate) to be fully encased and consequently very difficult (and...
10
10

Re: Need a diode of type MA 27A1 from a 10year old Technics audio amp SU-V6
Sure. 21.2kVA

Starting problem with a Samsung Lappy
Hi Friends I have a Samsung Lappy Modl R439. When I press the start button the blue indicator near the button comes on but the lappy does not start. Wait in this condition for about 10 minuts (blue...
11
11

Re: Batteries
Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the bad batteries caused the electronic controller to draw too much current in an attempt to maintain 's just a guess, though. It is hard disagnose...
1
1

Troubleshooting RFI from switch-mode PS
I have a Samlex 120VAC-13.5VDC at 35A switch mode power supply for my amate ur radio equipment. Working great for last 7 years. Recently it's now produ cing "swooshing" noise in my radio receiver,...
22
22

Headphone connector repair
Seems like it should be the easiest thing in the world, but I'm ashamed to admit I'm having trouble with this. The replacement headphone plug has three gold-plated terminals, and the headphone lead...
19
19

How best to dilute gasoline to use in a kitchen sink?
Any suggestions of common household chemicals that can dilute gasoline? I use gasoline as a home goo-gone substitute for removing labels. Most often I do it outside, because of the stink, but I want...
102
102

Engine Management Units
Hi all, Has anyone had to work on one of these? If so, is it possible to probe through the transparent conformal coating of the PCB to measure voltages on traces without (more than minutely) damaging...
4
4

Mark Bass , magic smoke, only 3 years old
This variant , they've sorted out the bad thermal air path "design" for the main heatsink, but introduced another. Zobel network involving 2x 4.7R 5W in parallel litterally back to back and also...
11
11

Where do you get those big fat plugs for extension cords?
I want to fix a half dozen or more 120VAC (USA) extension cords, all with molded on connectors, both male and female by putting on something like this: I'd like to replace them with those big fat...
20
20

Tubes in broken spotwelder & other questions
All, I know almost nothing about tubes(AKA valves). My son bought a capacitor discharge spotwelder that uses tubes. It doesn't work. Parts of it do but on the whole it appears that it doesn't charge...
38
38