1/4 inch socket, back nuts (black plastic)

Assuming no one knows of a UK supplier of packs of just these and not sockets plus nuts. I've run out of salvaged ones to replace the missing ones from amps, to be repaired for other reasons than just missing nuts, but cannot return to owners with missing ones.

How to make adequate replacements ? any ideas. The thread for the plastic ones seem to be 12mm x 1.75 pitch, ie coarser thread than the metal ones that I have dozens/hundreds of. Find some black plastic of the right sort of thickness. Ignore the flange bit. Grind a cutting face on all 6 sides of an appropriate size old hex socket set driver to punch the outer hex shape. Punch a circular central hole and tap 12mm thread.?

N_Cook

"N_Cook" wrote in news:g2rt84$pcj$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org:

Mix a colorant with an epoxy, cover a long threaded rod with a lubricant/release agent, cover in black epoxy, mold into proper hex shape, After the epoxy hardens, remove the rod from the center and cut into nuts of proper thickness.

--
bz    	73 de N5BZ k

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
bz

No no no no no no. A brand new jack socket with nut costs 50 pence. Work it out, please.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

There is at least one manufacturer in the UK for these. I can't remember the name for the moment. I used to buy various sizes of nylon nuts and threaded rod from them for high voltage assembly's. I probably have some that size in stock.

Try "Moss Plastics"

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Could it be UNC?

--
*Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Such a nut goes onto a 12mm steel bolt with just hand pressure but not freely running though. Unlike a 12mm steel nut on steel bolt, but as they all so easily work loose, a lock-nut type action would be useful.

In like sig vein Why is pulchritudinous such an ugly word ?

N_Cook

WTF are you talking about. ?

You really do 'lose' the plot' sometimes.

What's a 'back nut' anyway ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

What does this have to do mit helping the bloke find some flippin black plastic nuts, Eh 'Now for a case of Fosters!' Cheers

Reply to
Art

Baron Inscribed thus:

I've just found the address of one of the firms that may help you, just incase "Moss Plastics" can't !

G&B Projects Company, Barnards Green, Malvern, Worcestershire, WR14 3LY

01684-574367.

HTH.

--
Best Reagrds:
                        Baron.

Oh, black plastic nut - not a 'back nut' at all ?

To fit Cliff or Rean type sockets you mean ? I'd have thought they might supply you direct.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Do you mean the black nut shown here on the S2 style jack (stereo jack shown).?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

If you contact the makers and put in a large enough order they'll supply them as spares. But it sounds like you don't want a thousand or so minimum. Other thing is to keep an eye on Ebay for bulk packs of sockets complete - and just junk the sockets.

--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I just save the ones from all the sockets I have replaced because the contacts have become unreliable.

Ron

Reply to
Ron(UK)

Same here. I replace far more sockets than missing nuts, so always have a surplus of nuts.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Ron,

very serious comment. Ay ideas how to make a totally REIABLE jack socket ? (especially the make-break contacts ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

missing

nuts,

supply

sockets

I fail to see the point in replacing poor sockets that will be equally poor in a couple of years time. Unless plating is flaking , or the flexing part has lost its spring I reinforce what is there with my silicone cordage technique. Both horizontal and vertical mount types. Owners have, without prompting, commented on what an improvement in the contact force, noticeably gripping the stem of the plug etc which I've never come across on any "proper" such 1/4 inch sockets.

It is a consequence of that , that I've run out of nuts. Yes, bush nuts, rather than my misnamed back nuts.

I've realised I have a load of, unuseful for anything, cable entry glands that use a very similar size black plastic (genuine) back nut. I will try 2 more techniques to adapt to fit these 1/4 inch sockets. The first , heating and squashing failed

N_Cook

It's a bugger innit ?

Guess what's one item on my 'wish list' if I'm to have a senior position with a major Chinese pro-audio Co. ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

At one time there was a manufacturer who actually put proper point contacts on their sockets, I dont recall the maker now, possibly Cliff products. There was once a make of socket with a stack of point blades on top similar to the old GPO relay layout, they were reliable Of course the American style 'skeleton' type have pretty reliable contacts - until the blade brakes off.

Whatever you design, it will be manufactured at the minimum cost, so negating the reliability you designed in in the first place ;)

Whenever I replace a switched socket, I add a glob of lube from my sevisol pen to the mating faces, that usually does the trick for years unless the socket is abused or some clown blasts WD40 into it.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

poor

with a

odd coincidence. Roland micro cube came in today for a failing 1/4 inch input socket. This is less than 22 months of proper use, from pcb manufacture date, and it has mechanically failed internally, just too littlle metal - Jalco make.

I will replace this pcb mount one with a wired in chassic type.

N_Cook

I reckon some of the problem with modern sockets is that pulling the cable sideways strains the contact blades. On the older sockets, the plug was restrained in the centre and at the tip end by the plastic moulding. Maybe it`s the shape of the tip or the moulding of the socket, but that doesnt seem to happen anymore. Vertical jack sockets suffer too, even the quality Neutrik ones. I`ve had several fail on my Allen & Heath mixing desk

Ron

Reply to
Ron(UK)