table read Vs eeprom

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the tables (programmemory) and the
eeprom of a PICMicro.

With this I mean speed, reliabilty code space usage etc.

I want to know when to use what, and make the choices in the futere myself.
Because of this I don't give any details about my current need for storing
data.

Greetings,

Alexander

Re: table read Vs eeprom

These parameters are easily obtained from the datasheets. Some (size,
avialability!) will vary from PIC to PIC.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------
http://www.voti.nl
Webshop for PICs and other electronics
http://www.voti.nl/hvu
Teacher electronics and informatics

Re: table read Vs eeprom

Yes, I know that.
Some Pic's don't have an EEPROM and the size is different just as the size
of program memory.

What I want to know is when to use what, and on what that choice is based.

I can only find that a table is more reliable than the EEPROM, and some code
samples for both.
But when to use what is still a puzzle to me, I think table reads are better
but the (All??? the 18F) PIC's still have EEPROM's onboard.

Greetings (not from Gelderland but from Overijssel (Twente),

Alexander

Re: table read Vs eeprom

(teacher mode, I never give the full answers)

Check the number of allowed writes, and what happens during a write.

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------
http://www.voti.nl
Webshop for PICs and other electronics
http://www.voti.nl/hvu
Teacher electronics and informatics

Re: table read Vs eeprom

The big advantage of the EEPROM space is that you can write to it
programmatically (from the PIC code, that is).  It's commonly used to
provide non-volatile storage for setup parameters, calibration values, and
the like.

--
Mark Moulding
"I prefer heaven for climate, hell for company."

Re: table read Vs eeprom

That's only partially true, the 18F series can write to programspace also
from Pic code.

I had a little help from Wouter, but still no real reference on when to
choose what.
I quess that if you have a lot to write and the time for it write to program
space, else use the eeprom.
Also what you said can be used but only for reading.

ThanX for the reply

Re: table read Vs eeprom

A lot of 16F PICs can do this too. It is what makes a bootloader
possible.

Wouter van Ooijen

http://www.voti.nl
Webshop for PICs and other electronics