stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

Hi all -

Sorry if this appears to be slightly off-subject but it is related to a
microcontroller project.

I'm trying to find a small digital still camera (DSC) module that
incorporates a CMOS imaging system and an embedded storage memory,
preferably with VGA resolution (640 X 480).  Color would be best but I can
use B&W, also.  I'm trying to find something fairly small that runs on
3.3VDC.

I've tried searching for all kinds of Google searches with no (or little
success).  Maybe it's the way I'm formatting the searches but I'm having no
luck.

Has anyone married a DSC with a uC successfully?  Are there any sites with
methods or modules listed?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

hope someone answers this sounds like a cool plan

David

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

"Dave" <starfire151 AT cableone DOT net> wrote in

Goto Electronics 123 (http://www.electronics123.com /) and search on
"cmos camera". You will find a number of them that MAY work for you.
Most are easily connect to a uC, maybe not 3.3 VDC though, I didn't
check.

--
dan

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

How about the aiptek pencam SD ? I know its not a module, but a ready made
solution.

Texy

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

Thanks for responding, Texy -

I saw that module while doing the search of the www.electronics123.com site.
That does look interesting and may be a viable way of doing this interface.
The price is certainly right.  The fact that it runs on two penlight cells
means I could probably get it to work with a 3.3VDC system, also.  I'll
check in to it.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

I know for a fact that they will work on a 3v3 rail as I modify them for RC
use. I remove the battery compartment,
and fit my own pcb, part of which is an lm317 regulator. The camera takes
around 250mA when taking a picture.
Hope this helps,
Texy

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

Being intersted myself, I tried this search on google ("CCD module") and
look what I found :-)

http://www.eio.com/public/ccd/0019.html

Ok this may not be exactly what you're after but there seems to be a
wealth of info in this mailing list which might lead to what you want :-)

Regards
Sergio Masci

http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB - optimising PIC compiler
FREE for personal non-commercial use

.

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

Hi Sergio -

Your query got me inspired to try Google searches again.  I could have sworn
I checked "CMOS camera module" but when I checked today I found this link:

http://www.rohm.com/products/shortform/31cam/cam_index.html

The size looks very good.  The fact there are three variations in resolution
is even better.  I'll check into costs and features.

I just thought you might be interested, also.

Dave

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

Thanks Dave, yes I am interested.

BTW the pictures showing a comparison between their CMOS module and a CCD
module are a little suspect. The grainy effect could be caused by reducing
a large high definition CCD image to the same size and colour depth as
their smaller image using poor scaling algorithms.

Regards
Sergio Masci

http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB - optimising PIC compiler
FREE for personal non-commercial use

.

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

Hi Dan -

Thanks for responding.

I did see that module from a different site while doing the Google searches.
Unfortunately, its a video camera module with a composite video output and
no local single picture memory store, which is what I was looking for.  For
video output, though, this module looks like it would be great.

Part of the problem with the search is how to phrase what to look for.
Video, apparently, generally means composite video output.  The closest
thing I've found to what I want is a digital Still camera, or DSC.  There
were quite a few hits with queries for DSCs but a lot of chaff with
calorimeters, etc.  I found no specific vendors offering modules, per se.

Thanks.  I'll keep looking...  If I find something, I'll post it.  This
sounds like it would be a fun microcontroller interface.  I've even seen
some mention of some DSCs with an I2C interface.  That would be ideal!

Dave

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

"Dave" <starfire151 AT cableone DOT net> wrote in

ok check out Quasar electronics. look at the M3188A and the C3188A.
Thats what they HAD a electronics123 last I looked. These are CMOS
cameras with digital outputs. I don't think it has the local picture
store, at least not for the full image array,  you grab the image
serially (I2C) so if the object you are looking at is moving you
may get partial images.

--
dan

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

They still have, just search for '3188' on electronics123.

The 3188 isa colour with 8/16 bit parallel out, plus EIA and I2C control
interface.

-S

Re: stand-alone cmos digital still camera modules?

Hi Steve -

Thanks for the heads-up.  I'll check out Quasar.

Just to let you know, I also found
http://www.rohm.com/products/shortform/31cam/cam_index.html which has
modules.

Dave