PIC16F882 vs At89S52

I'm new to AT Microcontrollers

I must start a new project which requires the PIC16F887. In the country I'm
staying I can get five AT89S52 Microprocessors for the price of one
PIC16F887

I only need 8K of flash memory - which both have (PIC has 14K, AT89S52 has
8K)
Both has at least 32 I/O ports
Both of them has 40-Pins

Does both of them get programmed with the same language ?
Will the code I write be able to run on both ?
I do understand that I will need different programmers (Hardware) to be able
to programs them, but I need to get my ducks in a row before I start with
the project as I have to buy the programmers, design the PCB with the
correct pin layouts

Any other suggestions what I can use with more than 32 I/O Ports ?

Any related feedback much appreciated

Re: PIC16F882 vs At89S52

What form factors do you prefer? If you need a DIP layout then 40 pins
is about the largest available nowadays and that leaves around 32 I/O
pins, accounting for power, reset, clocks, etc.

Both the PIC series from Microchip and the MCS51 family (from a lot of
vendors) are pretty widely supported.

My personal preference, especially for down'n'dirty bit twiddling apps,
would be for the AT89S52.

Both can be programmed in C, depending, of course, on the size and
complexity of the application. The sdcc compiler for the 8051 family is
available as FOSS/GPL http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/ I haven't been
following the PICs as closely but I seem to recall that Microchip has a
free C compiler. Of course, there are commercial compilers for both.

You may also want to look at the AVR series from Atmel. The architecture
is different from either the PIC or the 8051-family and you may (or may
not) find it more to your liking. Most of their 40-pin, 8K chips are
obsolescent (no longer in production) but they do have several 40-pin
offerings with a larger memory space, such as the ATmega32.

For more information on the MCS51 family in general, take a look at
http://www.8052.com/, and for the AVR chips http://www.avrfreaks.net /

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: PIC16F882 vs At89S52

Hi

Do I understand correct:  Is the At89S52 part of the 8051 family, and that
the PIC and 8051 are complete different ranges of microcontrollers ? I'm
busy reading throught he tutorials on www.8052.com, but it all looks "Greek"
to me. I assume it will take a while to get everything under the knee

Thanks for the feedback

Re: PIC16F882 vs At89S52

Yes, the AT89S52 has an 8051-style "core." Quite a few manufacturers
licensed the core from Intel and so there are a lot of "similar but not
the same" microcontrollers out there. The processor core will be
(mostly) the same and vendors differentiate themselves in the on-chip
peripherals, clock styles (the original divide-by-12 or not), memory
maps, programming styles, etc.

The PICs have a different architecture and are only available from
Microchip. There's a large range of sizes and capabilities, though.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: PIC16F882 vs At89S52

I think you'll find the S52 went out of productiuon a long time ago. Plenty
of alternatives from Atmel...

Re: PIC16F882 vs At89S52

You may be thinking of the AT89C52 -- the S parts seem to be current.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Re: PIC16F882 vs At89S52

All the research I did also showed that the AT89S52 is current, and still
going strong in production

Wicus