PIC EC question

When you use PICs with the external RC oscillator, a Fosc/4 output is available. Is this available also when in external clock mode? The datasheet doesn't explicitely say either way.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

wrote

You really should state which PIC you are talking about. Anyway, in the PICs that I use, the answer is no. The datasheet is very clear for these models that the other OSC pin is an I/O pin when EC mode is selected.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont

It is not clear. If Fosc/4 is available in RC mode, one presumes these transistors do not disappear in EC mode. Would it kill them to explicitely state that the Fosc/4 available in the other mode is or is not availble in EC mode? What a weird mess of features these PICs have... "Here's something useful but it only works in crappy RC mode. If you use the better EC mode, we'll let you guess if the feature still works."

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Here is a cut/paste from the 12F683 datasheet:

3.3.2 EC MODE The External Clock (EC) mode allows an externally generated logic level as the system clock source. When operating in this mode, an external clock source is connected to the OSC1 pin and the GP5 pin is available for general purpose I/O. Figure 3-2 shows the pin connections for EC mode.

I don't know how much more clear they could have made it. OSC2 is an I/O pin in EC mode.

works."

Maybe you could use the INTRC with the CLKOUT feature, but I still don't know what PIC model you are using.

Reply to
Anthony Fremont