Need Suggestions For Upcoming PIC Project

I want to build something that allows me to record the output of an
electret microphone onto a USB memory stick.  Ideally, I'd like to be
able to record mono/stereo at various quality settings, say, voice audio
all the way to full music quality up to the limit of the mp3 format.

I am quite familiar with the analog end of this problem, and have done
a number of medium complexity PIC projects over the years.  But ... I
have a few questions:

1) Is there are PIC part that can do the A/D at the appropriate rates
    for the desired audio quality settings?  Is there a better part than
    a PIC for this?

2) Once I have the audio in memory as a bitstream, are there open source
    routines to create mp3 format files?

3) Is there a standard hardware/software library for interfacing with
    a USB memory stick and dealing with its file system.

Effectively, what I want is a small, low power replacement for a
cassette recorder.

TIA,
Tim Daneliuk     snipped-for-privacy@tundraware.com
Re: Need Suggestions For Upcoming PIC Project

Hi Tim,

I assume, this is a hobbyist project ... (otherwise you can by an USB
stick with mp3 recorder for a small amount)

You don't specify the requirements, but I have no experiences about the
conversation time of the PICs too. You are familiar with the PICs, so I
suggest, read the manuals and/or write a simple example.

I don't know. What's on google?

Because there are a great conceptional difference between USB and other
serial interfaces, there is no way. USB memory sticks and PICs are only
available as USB-slaves and can not act as an USB-Host-Device (like
USB-togo).

If you like to build this with a PIC, think about a CF or SD card as
storage, and use a small card reader (like a plug) for connet to PC.

Michael

Re: Need Suggestions For Upcoming PIC Project

    I think the latest line of PIC parts would do the required freqeuncy of
conversion but I don't think the resolution will be adequate for audio
quality, if you use the standard 16-bit, 41KHz sampling on the ADC as a
template.  For stereo, you need to sample two channels.  You may be better
off using a dedicated audio CODEC.

Re: Need Suggestions For Upcoming PIC Project

Site Timeline