multiple CP2103-EBs USB-to-RS232

Hi all -

I got the Silicon Laboratories CP2103-EB inteface kit from DigiKey.  This is
an adapter from a standard USB connection to provide a standard RS232
interface.  It comes with an interface adapter board, a USB cable, an RS232
cable, and a driver disk.  The kit works great and is reasonably priced.

I have been having a problem in trying to use two of these kits with my
laptop simultaneously, though.  When the first kit is plugged in, it is
correctly enumerated and the Hardware Profile shows a COM port available.
When the second kit is plugged into the USB, it has an error.  If I exchange
the two kits in plug-in order, the problem follows the second kit.

Has anyone used two of these kits in the same system?  Is there a trick to
getting it to peacefully coexist with multiple units?

I've tried the Silicon Labs website.  They are no help at all.  I have tried
sending e-mails on multiple occassions and have had no returns.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Re: multiple CP2103-EBs USB-to-RS232

Since there has been no response on this issue, I assume no one else is
using these devices in this kind of a configuration.

My solution to the problem was to have to get a 2-port com device interface
attachment which plugs into a single USB port.  The cost is just a little
higher than one of the Silicon Laboratories CP2103-EB devices, also.  This
has the added benefit of freeing up one USB port while connecting one or two
RS232 devices.

I am totally disappointed in the lack of response from Silicon Laboratories
on this issue.  I will never use any of their products in the future, either
at home or at work.  I will also recommend to anyone else to not use their
products.  You will not get any technical support...

Dave

Re: multiple CP2103-EBs USB-to-RS232

Did you try changing the serial number of the second CP2103? Sci Labs has a
utility called SetIDs I think that lets you set the enumeration pareters be
set.

Re: multiple CP2103-EBs USB-to-RS232

I did not know of that utility.  I did try to change the com port settings
from Windows by changing the properties but it was unsuccessful.

I have since then purchased a dual-port serial interface which runs directly
from the USB port.  It works quite well.  It also frees up a USB port, which
is additionally beneficial.

Thanks.

Dave