multiple CP2103-EBs USB-to-RS232

Hi all -

I got the Silicon Laboratories CP2103-EB inteface kit from DigiKey. This is an adapter from a standard USB connection to provide a standard RS232 interface. It comes with an interface adapter board, a USB cable, an RS232 cable, and a driver disk. The kit works great and is reasonably priced.

I have been having a problem in trying to use two of these kits with my laptop simultaneously, though. When the first kit is plugged in, it is correctly enumerated and the Hardware Profile shows a COM port available. When the second kit is plugged into the USB, it has an error. If I exchange the two kits in plug-in order, the problem follows the second kit.

Has anyone used two of these kits in the same system? Is there a trick to getting it to peacefully coexist with multiple units?

I've tried the Silicon Labs website. They are no help at all. I have tried sending e-mails on multiple occassions and have had no returns.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
starfire

Since there has been no response on this issue, I assume no one else is using these devices in this kind of a configuration.

My solution to the problem was to have to get a 2-port com device interface attachment which plugs into a single USB port. The cost is just a little higher than one of the Silicon Laboratories CP2103-EB devices, also. This has the added benefit of freeing up one USB port while connecting one or two RS232 devices.

I am totally disappointed in the lack of response from Silicon Laboratories on this issue. I will never use any of their products in the future, either at home or at work. I will also recommend to anyone else to not use their products. You will not get any technical support...

Dave

Reply to
starfire

Did you try changing the serial number of the second CP2103? Sci Labs has a utility called SetIDs I think that lets you set the enumeration pareters be set.

Reply to
Peter Camilleri

I did not know of that utility. I did try to change the com port settings from Windows by changing the properties but it was unsuccessful.

I have since then purchased a dual-port serial interface which runs directly from the USB port. It works quite well. It also frees up a USB port, which is additionally beneficial.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
starfire