mikroElektronika development boards

I am thinking of getting a PIC development board and was wondering if
anyone has tried the EasyPIC 3 board from mikroElektronika. Their board
seems very well specified and not too expensive. Or are there better
boards available elsewhere?

Re: mikroElektronika development boards

I have one, had it a few months, I love it.
I've ported a few projects from the EasyPic 3 to more permanent setups
without problems.

Things to watch out for:
The compilers, C, Pascal and Basic are code limited to 2k unless you buy
the program for extra $$$$$.  The assembler isn't.
Almost all peripheral setup is done with library functions which you
have no access to other than using them.  RS232_Init, Lcd_INIT, etc.

Within those limits, it's a great board, handles every flash PIC they
make, and will generate code for a lot of older PIC's as well.  With
those I load the hex code into my PicStart 16B and program them.  Yes,
I've been PIC'n around for a while.

Re: mikroElektronika development boards

Tom

Thanks for your advice about the board, it does appear to be the best one
around. I have already downloaded their MikroBasic and given it a try. It
seems OK if a little complicated. They have it on special offer if bought
with the board but I am also trialling Crownhill's Proton package (free
version). Not yet sure which I like best. Do you have any thoughts?

Re: mikroElektronika development boards

I haven't tried crownhill's package.  I use more C than anything.
MikroElectronica's programs look complicated until you get the board,
then it all makes sense.

Re: mikroElektronika development boards

Just curious, where does the limit occur? The linker shouldn't care if the
code was asm or c or Pascal, but the compiler doesn't know how big the
library functions are.

   3ch

Re: mikroElektronika development boards

I have both the Crowhill Proton Board and EasyPic 3.  The EasyPic 3 is
better in the fact it has got everything on one board.  Switches, 7-seg,
LED's. I/O, Pots etc.

A lot better where as the Proton is smaller with less components and
connectors.  But it does have the breadboard which is a very good idea.

I would go for the EasyPic 3 especially in the UK as it is on offer at 79 +
you can get a compiler (Basic, C or Pascal) for around 59 with it.  Or it
is 99 with the GLCD, LCD and temp chip.

Ray

Re: mikroElektronika development boards

Try this link too, different!

http://www.picmodules.com/index.html

Re: mikroElektronika development boards

They're cute, I like the color graphic display module, but you need a
MPLAB ICD2 to program them, and they're not cheap.

Re: mikroElektronika development boards

Yes on further research it needs the ICD2 which I do not mind if I can
programme in Basic as oppose to C as per their site suggests.
Or try these:

http://www.display3000.com/html/displays.html

Site Timeline