Microchip in Space

Microchip, in cooperation with NASA, has launched SuitSat-1, based on the PIC18
microcontroller.

Actually, it's a pretty cool embedded systems project...

http://Microcontroller.com/news/microchip_SuitSat1_NASA.asp

Regards,

Bill Giovino
Executive Editor
http://Microcontroller.com

Re: Microchip in Space

Didn't it pack in after a few hours?

Ian

Re: Microchip in Space

Since we're touting our space borne accomplishments,
JK microsystems' uflashTCP has been flying on the
International Space Station for 2-3 years controlling
a sample refrigerator.  A gas monitor for the ISS
is currently under development using our Logicflex
SBC.

Re: Microchip in Space

PIC18

Any electronics in space have to withstand ionizing radiation without failing.
To fly is easy, to work is another :), radiation toughness data would be
useful.

Re: Microchip in Space

PIC18

NASA did do some radiation tests on our SBC and
it passed with a wide margin.  I don't know the
exact nature of the tests since our end user  did
them and not us.

Site Timeline