Interfacing the DS12887 with PIC

Hello,

I'm trying to interface the real-time clock DS12887 with PIC18F452 but since I'm new in these things I'm not getting any results.. Does anyone have experience with this?

Or with any other multiplexed-bus real-time clock interface with PICs?

I think it would be easier using a RTC with I2C or SPI, the reason I'm using this RTC is because it comes already with integrated crystal and backup battery (the clock must never stop).

Can someone please help me?

Thank you!

Reply to
ghstshll

RTCs with serial interfaces, crystals, and batteries exist and are a much better fit for a PIC.

--
Dan Henry
Reply to

If I remember correctly that Dallas RTC was made to be used in a PC, on the address and data busses like a rom chip, it was also the non-volatile ram. One of the Epson clocks, like an RTC58321 would be a better bet, it can get by with 4 I/O pins. Just add a backup battery, it has an internal crystal.

Reply to
Tom

A DS1307 allows a backup battery to keep things going when the main power dies. So, a DS1307, 32KHz mini can, a small coin cell and he's good to go. The F452 has I2C......

Jim

Reply to
James Beck

Thank you for your reply.

Could you name some RTCs with serial interfaces, crystals and batteries?

That would be very helpfull since I can only find with integrated crystal..

ghst

Reply to
ghstshll

Thank you,

I'm going to use the DS1305 since I already have to use SPI to transfer data to a MMC card.. I would really like to find a RTC with SPI, crystal and battery, wouldn =B4t that be nice?

Thank you very much to all!

ghst

Reply to
ghstshll