Interfacing the DS12887 with PIC

Hello,

I'm trying to interface the real-time clock DS12887 with PIC18F452 but
since I'm new in these things I'm not getting any results.. Does
anyone have experience with this?

Or with any other multiplexed-bus real-time clock interface with PICs?

I think it would be easier using a RTC with I2C or SPI, the reason I'm
using this RTC is because it comes already with integrated crystal and
backup battery (the clock must never stop).

Can someone please help me?

Thank you!

Re: Interfacing the DS12887 with PIC

RTCs with serial interfaces, crystals, and batteries exist and are a
much better fit for a PIC.

--
Dan Henry

Re: Interfacing the DS12887 with PIC

Thank you for your reply.

Could you name some RTCs with serial interfaces, crystals and
batteries?

That would be very helpfull since I can only find with integrated
crystal..

ghst

Re: Interfacing the DS12887 with PIC

See www.st.com.  Use Google too.

--
Dan Henry

Re: Interfacing the DS12887 with PIC

If I remember correctly that Dallas RTC was made to be used in a PC, on
the address and data busses like a rom chip, it was also the
non-volatile ram.  One of the Epson clocks, like an RTC58321 would be a
better bet, it can get by with 4 I/O pins.  Just add a backup battery,
it has an internal crystal.

Re: Interfacing the DS12887 with PIC

A DS1307 allows a backup battery to keep things going when the main
power dies.  So, a DS1307, 32KHz mini can, a small coin cell and he's
good to go.  The F452 has I2C......

                  Jim

Re: Interfacing the DS12887 with PIC

Thank you,

I'm going to use the DS1305 since I already have to use SPI to
transfer data to a MMC card..
I would really like to find a RTC with SPI, crystal and battery, wouldn
B4%t that be nice?

Thank you very much to all!

ghst

Site Timeline