how to trace a microcontroller running it's app ? - Page 2

Re: how to trace a microcontroller running it's app ?

Well he wanted to cross connect to his development board, so dropping a
chip in that *has* JTAG support (maybe on a converter board to 40 pin
DIL) may still be a reasonable option for ICD.  I await the pro's
suggestions for any chip that could 1. be slowed down enough and 2.
comes up with extra on chip operipherals *disabled* so that its fully
code compatible with a standard 8051.  Its a long shot - but if there is
a suitable chip out there it would make a couple of potential projects I
have in mind worth proceding with.

Robb has already replaced *most* of the chips on the target system, I
dont think he'd mind swapping out the CPU.
--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
Re: how to trace a microcontroller running it's app ?

Hi, robb.  To accomplish what you need for an 8031/8051, you'll need a
real-time in-circuit emulator.  This will not be inexpensive.  But
since your need is project-specific and the processor is essentially
obsolete, I'd recommend renting one.  The ICE should cost less than
$100 to $150 a month.  Make sure your rental includes the software you
need to do the job.  You're also going to need a logic analyzer and a
digital storage scope to observe operation of the servo system.

This one would be a tough go, even for an embedded controls E.E., with
the real-time control of a servo system.  Give it up, robb.

Good luck
Chris

Re: how to trace a microcontroller running it's app ?

Hi, robb.  To accomplish what you need for an 8031/8051, you'll need a
real-time in-circuit emulator.  This will not be inexpensive.  But
since your need is project-specific and the processor is essentially
obsolete, I'd recommend renting one.  The ICE should cost less than
$100 to $150 a month.  Make sure your rental includes the software you
need to do the job.  You're also going to need a logic analyzer and a
digital storage scope to observe operation of the servo system.

This one would be a tough go, even for an embedded controls E.E., with
the real-time control of a servo system.  Give it up, robb.

Good luck
Chris

You don't need all that stuff, just a logical, inquisitive analytical mind
:) Which it seems you have!

Re: how to trace a microcontroller running it's app ?

Yes... Most will let you do this with a script.

Try uVision

I would agree.

The costs don't look small but if it is the only tool that will do the
job.....

The 80561 is far from obsolete. However is the OP is only going to do
this one 8051 project renting is a good idea.

OTOH if the OP wants to do a lot of 51 work buying a good one is a good
long term investment.

Costs depend on where you are and what you need. For 8051 the cables and
pods vary a lot depending on the target.

Not only the software but the facilities...
You need the ICE to be able to run at the bus speed of the target...
NOTE some 51's are  *2, *3, *6 and *12  a standard  51.

You need trace & trace filtering,   Also depending on how the trace
works the size of trace is important. Due to different methods a 2K
trace can be a effectively as big  as an 8K trace

Trace should give  C, ASM and raw (binary) trace.

conditional breakpoints etc

It goes without saying it should be non intrusive

You need both C and ASM  debugging

If you have a decent ICE you won't need the Logic Analyser.

And a lot of time and luck.

Re: how to trace a microcontroller running it's app ?

Thanks Chris for the help and ideas,
robb

run
you'll need a
do the
essentially
to do
is a good
cables and
target...
trace
a 2K
system.
E.E., with
analytical mind
Thanks Chris for the help and ideas,
robb

Re: how to trace a microcontroller running it's app ?

1) Map your input / output devices to logical adresses (check for
example for an 74ls138 if this is an old pcb)
2) Map your rom / ram to logical adessess
3) use dasmx.zip from conquest Consoltans (best disassmbler I know and
supports the 8051) and create a source
4) use on of franks assemblers http://www.kingswood-consulting.co.uk/assembl =
ers/
(don't know if he has an assembler for the 8051...He has one listen
for the 8050, I don't know the different between these two chips...)
5) Create new binary and burn them on eprom...

I did this process successful for a number of pinballs of different
manufactures...

Look on my homepage or mail me if you want to know more..

Greetings Oliver
My collection: early bally, williams and stern with custom game roms

My homepage:http://www.pinball4you.ch

mail to: okaegi at pinball4you dot ch

Re: how to trace a microcontroller running it's app ?

You need a logic analiser, loads of cheap ones on ebay. Once you
capture  a program loop you can load it onto your simulator and step
through it, if its function is not obvious. Program the analiser to
ignore that loop and repeat untill you have them all. The whole
process is suprisingly easy if your source is not too big.

Re: how to trace a microcontroller running it's app ?

If you have copied the rom then get an emulator and load the code.
Then run step by step to know where it is going.

If you wish you can provide me a munged email id and I will send you
the emulator, (freeware) which will show the ram, rom etc and you can
see what happens at each step.

ClueLess, but not this time.

Site Timeline