how to allocate large arrays in CCS

I have not been able to find information in the documentation for this
question...

How can I allocate an array of 512 bytes (for instance) using the CCS C
compiler on a PIC18LF2525 component?

Is it simply:

    char array[512];

?

Thanks.

Dave

Re: how to allocate large arrays in CCS

@cableone.net says...
I don't think so.  If I'm reading the manual correct that is too large
for a single entity.

From the online help:
A subscript to a RAM array must be at least 1 and not more than 128
elements.  Note that large arrays might not fit in a bank. ROM arrays
may not occupy more than 256 locations.

I read that as a big NO for your char array[512]

                     Jim

Re: how to allocate large arrays in CCS

Thanks, Jim.

I guess I'll break it down into multiple smaller arrays.

Dave

Re: how to allocate large arrays in CCS

@cableone.net says...
I never really noticed the limitation before, so I leaned something too.
I think the largest array I ever used in a PIC project was a 128 byte
serial buffer.  So, I never bumped into it.

                            Jim

Re: how to allocate large arrays in CCS

I'm trying to construct a buffer to hold the contents of a Compact Flash
read.  The buffer is 512 bytes long.  I'm using a PIC18LF2525, which in
itself has plenty of data space (3986 bytes) but I didn't remember to
consider page boundaries, etc.

I saw a FAQ in the databook concerning how to allocate table arrays up to
256 bytes but I couldn't find the reference to the limitation on RAM arrays.
Where did you dind that reference?  I didn't run across it in the online
help, either.

...I'm just getting old and blind...

Thanks

Dave

Re: how to allocate large arrays in CCS

@cableone.net says...
Using the CCS help that's in/available from the compiler, I did a search
for "array".  The best place to find it is in the error message listing.
They have several array error messages and one of them has the text I
posted.

                               Jim

Site Timeline