Help! What does all of this mean?

I'm looking at what PIC's to get and I see all these different kinds
and I have no idea what I should get.

What's the difference between 16F876 and 16LF867 and 16LF876A?
What's the difference between package types, like PDIP, SPDIP, etc..
What does I/P or I/SS or I/SP mean?

I'm looking to make some LED displays, but first I thought I'd try a
few sample projects like this one:
http://www.makezine.com/01/bunnie /
There, they specify using a PIC16LF876A-I/SS-ND, but I'd like to
understand why they picked that one over all the other PIC16's.

Thanks a bunch..  Now I just hope I can understand the responses.. ;)
I'm a computer geek that's trying to do electronic stuff..  don't know
the termonology..

-Shay

Re: Help! What does all of this mean?

A good book that is worth purchasing is "PIC in Practise by D.W. Smith
ISBN 0-7506-4812-0

Here are some links Shay

http://www.mikroelektronika.co.yu/english/index.htm

http://www.microchip.com/

--

PhEaSaNt PLuCKeR

Re: Help! What does all of this mean?

Ok the 16F876 is the basic PIC of this type
The LF is usual for a low power consumption and a lower VCC so you can power
it by using 2 AA type batteries
The A is a newer model with some improved functions.

PDIP is a Plastic Dual Inlin Pin Packege with is the conventional through
hole package
For larger PICS there might be the SPDIP which is the same wisth but longer,
a normal PDIP with 40 leads is about 15 mm width a S(kinny) PDIP is about 10
mm width (the same as a 8 or 16 pin (P)DIP).

PIC AA B CCCC D - EE F / GG HHH
PIC is de type of device
AA is the family (for the instruction set) to which the PIC belongs
B is the technology (explained before)
CCCC is de Device Number
D how the device is shipped (from MF) on tape or real (only for certain
packages)
EE the frequency range (4 or 20 MHz)
F The temperature range,  I (or in somtimes E) which is sometimes missing is
for the temprature range.
    If it's missing it's the normal type, I stands for industrial and E for
Extanded temperature range
GG is the package type:
    P is Plastic DIP
    SN is SOIC (Gull Wing, 150 mil)
    SO is SOIC (Gull Wing, 300 mil)
    SP is Skinny PDIP
    ST is TSSOP
    ML is QFN
    SS is SSOP
    PT is TQFP
    L is PLCC
HHH is a pattern code and certain package types

Well some of this is explained above, anf why the 876A perhaps because of
the peripheral functions or just because this one is in (almost) every
electronics store available.
But you can always take a look at the datasheets
Well in that case this might be overkill :(
But I hope you can use some of it.
I think the best package for you is the (S)PDIP
On the microchip site there's also a description of everything (with
pictures :D)
Good Luck,

Alexander

Re: Help! What does all of this mean?

neither has anyone else, unless you state in much more detail what you
want, how much money abd time you are willing to spend, and what your
currenmt abilities are.

maybe read http://www.voti.nl/swp

Wouter van Ooijen

http://www.voti.nl