Developing/compiling software

HI All

I've looked at Keil uVIsion (Trial Version) as well as Asem51v1.3 (old stuff).

Any suggestions of the compiler software you're using to write/compile your code and create hex files to upload to the ATMEL microcontrollers. I would rather review a few other options, than to invest in the Keil software, only to discover afterwards that there are maybe better tools for the job

(Apologies for my tenses/grammar - English is my second language)

Kind Regards

Reply to
Lodewicus Maas

your

I am using ImageCraft for the AVR. Cheap and good. Excellent support.

Meindert

Reply to
Meindert Sprang

Atmel make a lot of different microcontrollers - are you talking about their 8051 devices, or something else? And have you looked at other architectures? There a couple of dozen other cpu architectures that are better suited to C development than the 8051, and have better ranges of tools.

Reply to
David Brown

Second vote here for Imagecraft. Been using it professionally for several years.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Do ImageCraft make 8051 tools?

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
Designed for Microcontrollers.  More than 7000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems
Reply to
FreeRTOS info

D'oh!

for (i = 0; i < 100; ++i) { printf("Atmel is not one-to-one with AVRs!\n"); }

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I prefer gcc. It's the compiler I use for 8 other processors, and I find it helps productivity to use the same set of tools on multiple projects even when the processor differs.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I am a jelly donut.
                                  at               I am a jelly donut.

The Keil tools are an excellent choice for 8051 development. In particular their simulator is really good. Allows device specific settings, so you can simulate the I/O on your chip. You can also have it use your PC serial port as the serial connection to the simulation.

--
Scott
Validated Software

database 4430 (20090916) __________

http://www.eset.com
Reply to
Not Really Me

Is there a GCC for the 8051? SDCC yes, GCC, as far as I know, no.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
Designed for Microcontrollers.  More than 7000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
Certified by TÜV as meeting the requirements for safety related systems
Reply to
FreeRTOS info

Oops. I didn't realize the OP meant 8051. I assumed he meant AVR, AVR32, or ARM. To answer you question, there isn't an

8051 backend for gcc.
--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I'm shaving!!
                                  at               I'M SHAVING!!

There is, however, SDCC, which does have an 8051 back-end.

Reply to
mac

With a bit of luck, the OP is at an early enough stage that he can pick something other than the 8051 before it is too late...

Reply to
David Brown

Let's hope he will not pick a PIC. :)

Ciao Jack

Reply to
Jack

Is there something wrong with using an 8052 based CPU for a low end project. Keil Tools are fine, but are pricey. But if the project is small some

8052 chip makers offer a 4K Free copy of the Keil Tools for their chips.
Reply to
Neil

In message , Lodewicus Maas writes

For 8051 there are no better tools.

Chris H

In message , Meindert Sprang writes

And the Imagecraft AVR compiler will work with the 8051?

READ THE QUESTION

BTW there is no better 8051 compiler than Keil

Chris H

AFAIK there is no gcc for 8051

Chris H

In message , FreeRTOS info writes

There is no comparison between the SDCC and Keil

Chris H

It's kind of an odd architecture (by current standards). Well suited for assembler coding. The bit-addressable registers (including I/O ports) avoid the need to, e.g., do a read-re/set-write sequence to twiddle a single flag. The external memory interface isn't all that common on uCs and can be used to address memory-mapped I/O peripherals (external synchro-digital converters, for example).

So, there's nothing intrinsically "wrong" with it, and it can be a very good fit for some projects. Just need to match the problem domain with the appropriate solution set.

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I hope you aren't finding the many English answers complex enough to make further discussion hard for you. I see you haven't added anything yet, which concerns me. You mention Atmel and Asem51v1.3, so I'm assuming this is the AT89 series from Atmel?

Some questions that are important to know, before discussing things: (1) Hobby or professional application? (Not clear, but I'm leaning towards believing this is for professional use.) (2) Assembly or c? (You mention asem51v1.3, but also mentioned 'compiler software', so it's not clear to me. It's possible when you talk about 'Keil software' you may only care about the debugger/JTAG capability, too. Can you clarify this?) (3) Project size/complexity? (4) Unique requirements?

If budget is not a concern; this is a large, professional application; and you intend on using the c language for it, then the main question I'd have regarding using Keil's c compiler would be the quality of their after-sale support for you and their product documentation. (I already believe they have a good quality compiler.) How important those are will depend some on your own skills, of course.

You might be able to test this a little by seeing how they treat you with pre-sale questions -- but test things in several ways. Including some rather detailed technical questions, beforehand. Ask for some names they can offer you, unaffiliated with them otherwise, whom you can talk with a little about their experiences. And do some research on your own to get a sense. This may be worth a little prodding and research at the price point they are charging. Get a manual and look it over, too.

Do the same for any supplier you consider. In the end, whatever your choice, you will spend a fair amount of your time learning to properly use the tools. Even if you have good hand-holding from the supplier, excellent documentation, or an energetic and healthy users' group, you will still have to put in a lot of your own time. It's always good to know what to expect and plan for. So, the effort won't be entirely wasted, even if the results don't materially change your final decision.

I haven't used Keil for 20 years. So my early experiences will be of almost no use -- they have changed hands probably more than once since then and, besides, the entire environment around them has also changed. But I think it would help others respond to you better if you could say a little more about your situation.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan