Bitmap fonts - Page 2

Re: Bitmap fonts

It may seem obvious, but the policy decision from the copyright office
claims the bitmaps are not copyrightable.  It's the law that counts. If
you feel the law says otherwise, please post the relevant section.

Re: Bitmap fonts

this started as a very good discussion and looked like it could help people
out with their
concerns over the law. Now it seems to be a pissing contest. Laws are
sometimes different
in different countries. But the arguments seem pointless now that's to all
who had constructive
things to say. I will now be marking this thread to ignore :-)

David

Re: Bitmap fonts

You may be right about the letter of US copyright law, but I would
argue the ruling is in error. (As I mention elsewhere a typeface surely
can be protected as a work regardless of whether it can be described as
a computer program.) One would also have to consult the EULA for the
typefaces in question.

What would you say about this scenario: I spend a year designing and
drafting a typeface as inked squares on graph paper - a perfectly
reasonable way to design a typeface for, e.g. embedded use. It's
directly translatable into a digital bitmap, at any time I feel like
it. Is that work not protectable by US copyright? Is it a 'bitmapped
font'?

Actually I disagree with the categorisation of a Type 1 font as a
program. It is merely data. The program is the rasteriser. TrueType is
a little less clear cut however.

Re: Bitmap fonts

I have some difficulty making the leap from a font being
treated as a computer program for copyright purposes to
it being an infringement to make use of the output of
such a "program".  The scaled or otherwise massaged
output would seem to be the bit-mapped font that the
ruling says isn't protected.

Aside:  If one has a properly-obtained font that is
copyrighted, how is the copyright notice attached to
it so that others know not to use it illegally?  Do
you attach a copyright notice to the case of your
embedded product (which may become separated from
the font)?

Re: Bitmap fonts

It doesn't have to be regarded as a program to be protected by
copyright. It is a 'work' just like a novel, drawing or painting.
Particular computer programs are likewise protected as 'expressions'.
The typeface in the form of pencil drawings on tracing paper, or
scanned image files, or vector tracings stored as a file, has equal
protection.

It's the same with any other product - program, DVD, book, CD - it
comes with a written license. Generally (but not always, for instance
GPL) this precludes redistribution.

Are you afraid of someone reverse engineering the font and abusing
their license? Any measures you take to protect *your* product are up
to you, as long as you meet the terms of your font licensor.

Re: Bitmap fonts

I wrote a windows app to allow me to design my own 8x8 font and generate a C
header file from it. You can try it here
http://picmodules.com/downloads/CharacterDesigner.zip

Note: In the absence of a manual... The File_Save & File_Load saves binary
font data and is only used to save data not to create the header file. Use
the Generate Header button to create the header file which will appear in
the generated output window. The rest is quite self explanitory. Comes with
a pre-built font too.

Hope it's useful !

Re: Bitmap fonts

Please don't strip attributions for quoted material.

I forget the name, but most of these fonts are descended from a
standard public domain set from the Library of Congress or some
such organization.  These describe fonts in terms of brush strokes,
and can be used to create arbitrary sized fonts of various types.

Re: Bitmap fonts

You don't think of Hershey, or do you?

cheers
Gunther

Re: Bitmap fonts

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of.  Thanks.  Now if I
could remember where to go to get the descriptions!  I last used
them about 25 years ago.  At any rate, they are available to all
without charge.

Re: Bitmap fonts

I have the Hershey font massaged into a compact representation
for a C++ library to access them at the vector level, contact me
if you want - cjh at managesoft dot com.

Site Timeline