Binary, BCD, Counter ???

I'm currently working on a project where I'm running out of pins on a
PIC.  This is one of the bigger PICS so I am unable to expand on the
processor.  Basically I need to be able to signal 8 outputs from a
single pin on the PIC.  This is what I need in a nutshell:

Pulse on a single pin from the PIC to set a number of outputs (upto 8+)
Once set pulse another pin to enable the selected outputs.
Have the ability to reset the chip.
Be able to set all 8 (or more) outputs indipendantely.

Does anyone know of such a chip?

Please excuse my lack of electronics speak.  I'm new to electronics!

TIA

Phil.

Re: Binary, BCD, Counter ???

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:25:26 +0000, the renowned Phld

So, you've used up all 68~70 I/O pins on an 18F8x20 or dsPIC30F?

Not precisely, not offhand. Normally I'd use several pins to control
an inexpensive HCMOS buffered shift register. In rare cases maybe even
another micro (which could use a single pin if you came up with an
appropriate protocol). If I didn't care about price or availability I
might consider a DS2408, but that would be a chilly day in Hades.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Binary, BCD, Counter ???

It sounds like the 74HC595 is close to what you're looking for.

Dave

Re: Binary, BCD, Counter ???

Google for '8255' ...

Get the data sheet, read it.