best compiler - Page 2

Re: best compiler

I gave up a long time ago on trying to write MCU code that's easy to port
from family to family or compiler to compiler.  "Portability" of code was
a straw pony that you associated with c compilers on MCU's, and then you
correctly showed that it just ain't the way things are.

Programs that fit in the family of chips that I tend to stick to just
don't take that long to translate over from scratch.

The functionality described is certainly expensive, but incredibly
convenient.  I wouldn't be able to get the same functionality out of
Hitech without rolling up my sleeves--which is one reason why I tend not
to use Hitech.  Many things like this seem to require a tad more work--
even interrupt handling, where you need to case on the interrupt flags in
Hitech, but write separate routines in CCS (though nothing prevents you
from writing your own global interrupt handler in CCS).  If you need
cheaper UART capability in CCS, it can certainly be written, as well.
When I can afford to use printf, I do it, and I'm glad its there.

Don't get me wrong.  I've no intention of criticizing XCSB-- I've never
used it.  There are just a variety of reasons above and beyond any
functionality why I think that it wouldn't be a first (or maybe only)
compiler of choice for those just breaking into embedded systems.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Hi Scott,

I applaud your attitude.

This is an excelent reason to choose a tool: it does what YOU want. I
cannot fault you here.

My only concern was the initial implication that BASIC is bad for embedded
systems without regard for the specific XCSB dialect itself.

Although I agree with your reasoning for YOU using CCS, I feel I should
point out that as XCSB grows in popularity, users will add powerful
libraries of their own which will rival those written by a compiler
writer. The point is that the XCSB compiler allows users to write very
efficient code and they do not need to rely on the compiler writer to
provide the functionality they require (unlike many other compilers out
there). Take a look at Colin Barnards "one wire" library for XCSB for
example http://www.btech-online.co.uk/onewire.html

So whereas CCS is right for you XCSB will be right for others.

Regards
Sergio Masci

http://www.xcprod.com/titan/XCSB - optimising PIC compiler
FREE for personal non-commercial use

.

Re: best compiler

 Why not write a Forth  , no need to  complile .
 It writes low mid and high level  , instantly .
  Don't take any hints from ANSI  Forth or any of the free
 Forths .

  New Forth is simple ,  has no STACK ( unless ya wan it)
 nor [compiler] words   nor "redefinitions"  ,  its just plain simpler
,
    less is better .
 It's always in the execute mode , it simply takes your partially
completed  WORD and stores it so you can test out some code
 then return to complete the WORD .
  I call this the learning mode !

   It does not compile nor interpret ,
 it creates code instantly . If you forget code , you stack ( Low level
only )  some parameters and "test" the code .
  Todays MCU have more memory , it rockets ..

  No s/w can match the speed of Forth , writting it or running it  .
 It in-lines code if you have the  memory .
   A small Forth "starter" can fit in  7kB  .
 testing your code on the target w/o an IDE is less strain , you need
 not learn as much to be proficient .

Re: best compiler

Not mentioning myself :) I can add that there are certainly specific
values for 'best' that would make Jal the best choice. These values
are obviously different from the values that would make XCBS best, and
those values are both different from the values that would make SDCC
best, etc etc

Wouter van Ooijen

-- ------------------------------------
http://www.voti.nl
Webshop for PICs and other electronics
http://www.voti.nl/hvu
Teacher electronics and informatics

Re: best compiler

Shouldn't that be 'for MOST BASIC values of 'best''?

Wouter van Ooijen

http://www.voti.nl
Webshop for PICs and other electronics
http://www.voti.nl/hvu
Teacher electronics and informatics

Re: best compiler

If you are familiar with programming in C, I would recommend
SourceBoost.

http://www.picant.com/c2c/c.html

Site Timeline