X servers on CF

Hi, Is it possible to have X running on a 32 MB flash memory. It is a x86 architecture meant for video applications with a i810 board. I would not be needing anything other the basic X and pwlib applications. No authentication or any desktop environments (obviously). I have a lot of self doubt before embarking. Can I go ahead and buy the flash for

32 MB? thanks a zillion, Ravi
Reply to
Ravi

On a Sharp Zaurus (an ARM CPU), the GPE version of OpenZaurus runs a usable X environment from a 22M root partition on flash, executing in

32MB of RAM. The X server's resident set is about 1.5MB. Check out:
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u
Reply to
Eric C. Cooper

How about KDRIVE/Xvesa? The server itself is less than 900K. You won't get

3D acceleration or superfast overlays blitting. The good thing about KDRIVE is that it doesn't dump out a log file (sure way to shorten your flash longevity)
Reply to
Will

thank you. I am using the Kdrive. Wanted to know anybody previously attempted.

Reply to
Ravi

I really think it depends on the main application you will be running on your target. KDRIVE misses all the fancy extensions of a full blown X server. No overlays, no gamma are the things I noticed. If you plan to run an MPEG player then KDRIVE is not for you. But if all you want is a couple of xterms to work with, then KDRIVE will do. Forget about running Quake3 on KDRIVE :)

Reply to
Will