Window Manager Under TinyX Help!!!

Dear.

Now I am runing TinyX on ARM. Have run Xfbdev successful.

The next step, I want to run a window manager in ARM linux.

I have found swm in TinyX/bin direction.

But When i runing swm ERROR:

could not open display

if i run swm -display /dev/fb0? Also it error could not open display /dev/fb0

Also there are many other window manager, such as qvwm, fvwm, icewm, jwm, karmen, so on

Which window manager do you prefer to use in Embedded Linux?

I have cross compiled jwm and karmen for Embedded Linux. But when run jwm, karmen, it also ERROR as:

karmen: can't open display

error: could not open display

I think the error is due to display device?

What is the problem?

What should I solve these problem?

Thank you very much.

Reply to
zhe.peng

You don't have a framebuffer. See if your hardware supports a framebuffer. Then see if your kernel supports a framebuffer. Then read the framebuffer docs to see how to enable it.

Your hardware may not have a framebuffer; I have a machine that only supports SVGA, so it needs a different X server....

--Yan

Reply to
CptDondo

Thanks for your answering,but I am using EP9315 chip, it support frame buffer

Also I enable kernel supports a frame buffer

just as linux configure: Graphics support --->

[*] Support for frame buffer devices [*] EP93xx frame buffer support EP93xx frame buffer display (LCD display) ---

( ) CRT display (X) LCD display ( ) NTSC display ( ) PAL display EP93xx frame buffer depth (16bpp true color)

--->

( ) 8bpp pseudo color (X) 16bpp true color [ ] Virtual Frame Buffer support (ONLY FOR TESTING!) Console display driver support --->

[ ] VGA text console [ ] MDA text console (dual-headed) (EXPERIMENTAL) [*] Framebuffer Console support [*] Select compiled-in fonts [*] VGA 8x8 font [ ] VGA 8x16 font [ ] Mac console 6x11 font (not supported by all drivers) [ ] Pearl (old m68k) console 8x8 font [ ] Acorn console 8x8 font [ ] Mini 4x6 font [ ] Sparc console 8x16 font [ ] Sparc console 12x22 font (not supported by all drivers) Logo configuration ---> [*] Bootup logo [*] Standard black and white Linux logo [*] Standard 16-color Linux logo [*] Standard 224-color Linux logo
Reply to
zhe.peng