Which way is the best choice to co-exist Windows and Linux ?

Hi

I've known many ways to co-exist Windows and Linux :

  1. I can use VMWare or Microsoft VPC .
  2. I can use Cygwin or coLinux .
  3. I can use boot manager to divide HD partitions for each system .

How do you suggest the best choice for Linux and embedded Linux development ?

( If I need to keep Microsoft Windows for many softwares .)

Thank you .

Reply to
Kid

If you want to run a Linux-like environment within a basic windows host, good choices are:

mingw/msys (fast, "native" windows versions of common *nix tools, but lacks full posix support and more advanced *nix tools)

cygwin (fairly complete posix support and *nix development environment, but feels a little alien within windows and has cygwin1.dll hell)

VirtualBox (free virtual machine manager - runs windows and Linux guests on windows and Linux hosts. The full version supports USB)

I wouldn't bother with coLinux - it has somewhat lost its point after tools like VirtualBox matured.

VMWare works okay, but it's expensive for the full desktop version - VirtualBox does pretty much the same thing for free.

As for Microsoft VPC, I don't know. Windows 2K and XP are okay as desktop systems, but I can't think of any other Microsoft software that holds any appeal.

Dual booting works fine if you can separate your Linux and your windows work - frequently, that's quite difficult.

I use mingw/msys where I can, cygwin where I have to. For work that is more natural under Linux, I use kubuntu under VirtualBox. For some testing work, I also use virtual windows boxes. You can also use a Linux host and run windows programs in a VirtualBox machine.

Make sure you've got plenty of ram for your virtual machines, and get an extra network card. If you set that up as a bridge in your host, you can bridge your guests' virtual network cards to the second network card and thus let them have direct access to the network.

Reply to
David Brown

There are a lot more virtualization platforms now. E.g. VBox (That is the one I use), XEN (supported by Novell, running on Linux you can install Windows as a guest) Parallel, ....

Cygwin is exceptionally slow and often causes problems, but of course it's the tightest possible integration if you only need Linux command line tools.

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell

"Kid" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@c19g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

I use Linux hosts with the free VMware Server to virtualize a few Windows and Linux versions. Linux gives me a much better performance than using Windows as a host.

Just make sure you have plenty of memory to keep the most important virtual machines from swapping. Also use multi-core processors and assign only one CPU for a virtual machine.

I use quad-core 2.4GHz machines with Linux and VMware Server to virtualize a Windows 2003 Terminal Server for 10 users, a Windows 2003 Small Business Server with Exchange and a Linux web server. Occasionally a few test virtual machines are also running with Linux, Windows 98, 2000, XP and Vista to test software. It works like a charm (after tuning the host and VMware for optimum IO performance).

Frank

Reply to
FD