When do you need a cross compiler?

I'm going to be working on a PC/104 (x86) embedded single board computer for an upcoming project. I'll be running an embedded Linux distribution for the target operating system. I don't want to have to compile on the target, I'd prefer to compile on a host development machine with more horsepower. Under what circumstances is a cross-compiler required? The development host will be running either a standard Linux distribution (probably Mandrake 9) or possibly Cygwin. If the host and target machines are running different versions of the Linux kernel, or libC, is a cross-compiler required? If so does someone point me to some instructions on the web (or elsewhere) on how to go about setting this up?

Thanks alot,

Mark

Reply to
Mark J