what is Linux root File System ?

Is a file system that is mounted at the root of your installation, so is the 'root' of the other file systems (duh!)

Davide

--
For their next act, they'll no doubt be buying a firewall running
under NT, which makes about as much sense as building a prison out

Hi, I want to know what is a root file system.

Whether u refer to a one single file or multiple files as root file system.

When i build a linux kernel for an embedded system. whether the kernel and root file system are different files or same files.

Regards, john

Reply to
Maximus

Read this:

        Markku Kolkka
        markku.kolkka@iki.fi
Reply to
Markku Kolkka

Maximus :

It is the file system that's hosting the / directory (as opposed to /home, which I'd call the "users file system").

Nonesense.

Pardon?

Alexander Skwar

--
People tend to make rules for others and exceptions for themselves.
·_·¯·_·¯·_ ??????
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Alexander Skwar

Whatever file system you designate as root[1].

The kernel is files withing a file system. If it's convenient, put it in root, if not, put it in /boot. The way that you configure your boot loader must match where you decide to pout the kernel.

[1] It's called root because it's the basis for referring to all other files and directories. If you have multiple file system, you need to mount the others into access points, after which they are treated as though they are part of root.

Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action.  I reserve the
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

I think root file system is the place that linux kernel recognize as it's root place.

normally, we have a single file that contain the root filesystem. and load it to memroy.

Best Regards,

Maximus wrote:

Reply to
wuulong