Using gdb for kernel module post mortem

Hi,

I'm trying to perform a post mortem on a kernel panic due to a segfault in a kernel module using gdb to do some disassembly/source browsing. My target is an embedded PPC device.

After doing a bit of googling I found instructions/hints about using / sys/module//sections and add-symbol-file in gdb to load the symbols. Thats all working fine, after running add-symbol-file I can view the source for the kernel module and it seems to know the correct function addresses.

My problem is when I try to get the disassembly gdb can't find the data to to disassembly with (gdb) disassemble function-in-module Dump of assembler code for function function-in-module

0xa50c4af4 : Cannot access memory at address 0xa50c4af4

I can disassemble a function build into the kernel just fine (gdb) disassemble MMU_init Dump of assembler code for function MMU_init:

0x8038e80c : mflr r0 0x8038e810 : stwu r1,-16(r1) ....

I'm guessing I need to somehow tell gdb to load the data from the module.o file in addition to the vmlinux image, but I thought add- symbol-file would do that. Most of the instructions I looked at were using kgdb to connect to a live device and presumably getting the full memory map through that. In my case the hardware platform doesn't have an extra serial port I can use for kgdb.

Can anyone shed some light on how to use gdb in this situation without a live system?

I'm not sure if I should be asking gdb guys or linux guys so feel free to redirect me to another list.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris