USB 2.0 Host controller chip for Linux

Hi,

I've been tasked with creating a USB 2.0 interface for a FPGA design running embedded Linux (Windriver) and have found myself mired in a land of endless datasheets and acronyms.

What I would like to do in my design is have my FPGA, running Linux, interface with a chip that essentially does all the PHY and MAC functionality of the USB standard. What I set out to look for were chips that would at one end provide USB Phy pins and at the other USB EHCI pins (so that I could then write some VHDL to interface with my CPU). I could then rely on Linux to provide all of the USB stack, so that I didn't need to manually write a device driver myself. (I understand that EHCI is some sort of standard driver -> device register map, that largely makes device drivers for USB controller irrelevant)

Are these reasonable assumptions?

So far, the majority of USB chips appear to be either simplified USB perpherial chips (essentially a bus slave, without the ability to initate a transaction on the bus), Host controller chips, but without the EHCI interface (SL811HS), or high-end microcontrollers (Freescale MCF5251) with a bunch of stuff that I don't need (and can't interface with my FPGA).

Therefore, can anyone recommend a monolithic chip that I can purchase which will provide all of the necessary USB Phy/MAC functionality required to interface as a HOST in Linux?

Kind regards,

Stephen

Reply to
Steve

Le Tue, 29 Jan 2008 03:58:42 -0800, Steve a écrit:

Sure, ISP1161 (or possibly ISP1181).

--
HBV
Reply to

If you have a decent FPGA you can have a Linux enabled CPU and the USB MAC programmed in there. So you just need a PHY (a USB PHY is a very simple chip).

Is that what you want to accomplish ?

-Michael

Reply to
Michael Schnell